Subject: [OSPF] OSPF Link Local Signalling

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:27:28 -0500

As you all know, we have OSPF Link-local Signaling 
(draft-ietf-ospf-lls-01.txt)
as WG document. However, I don't believe we can get IANA to manage the
TLV type number space until the document is published.

In the interim, Abhay Roy <[email-masked]> has volunteered to manage the
allocations for LLS TLVs. Please contact him directly if you have a 
draft that
will require a unique code point. I'm more concerned with collisions 
than having
holes in the space due to drafts not making it all the way to RFC.

I've excerpted the IANA considerations section from the draft below:

   LLS TLV types are maintained by the IANA.  Extensions to OSPF which
   require a new LLS TLV type MUST be reviewed by an designated expert
   from the routing area.

   Following the policies outlined in [IANA], LLS type values in the
   range of 0-32767 are allocated through an IETF Consensus action and
   LLS type values in the range of 32768-65536 are reserved for private
   and experimental use.

   This document assigns the following LLS TLV types in OSPFv2/OSPFv3.

     TLV Type    Name                                      Reference
         0       Reserved
         1       Extended Options                          [RFCNNNN]*
         2       Cryptographic Authentication+             [RFCNNNN]*
         3-32767 Reserved for assignment by the IANA
     32768-65535 Private Use

     *[RFCNNNN] refers to the RFC number-to-be for this document.
     + Cryptographic Authentication TLV is only defined for OSPFv2

   This document also assigns the following bits for the Extended
   Options bits field in the EO-TLV outlined in Section 2.5:

     Extended Options Bit      Name                        Reference
       0x00000001              LSDB Resynchronization (LR) [OOB]
       0x00000002              Restart Signal (RS-bit)     [RESTART]

   Other Extended Options bits will be allocated through an IETF
   consensus action.

Thanks,
Acee

_______________________________________________
OSPF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf

---

From: "Abhay D.S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:21:25 +0800

This draft seems like good reading.
Why we might want to waste the TLV space now ?
We also have the OSPFv2 router capabilities draft with local LSA's.
 - Abhay D.S

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:46:20 -0500

> Why we might want to waste the TLV space now ?
To avoid conflicts. Specifically, since OSPF LLS is being used by all the
experimental OSPF MANET extensions we need to assure they all use
unique code points from day 1.

> We also have the OSPFv2 router capabilities draft with local LSA's.
I believe this is close to reaching the RFC Editor's queue - although it 
still
has to get through the IESG review.

Acee