Subject: [OSPF] Comments on OSPF for IPv6 - draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-update-xx.txt

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 05:52:39 -0400

With respect to the comment, that it should say it "Obsoletes RFC  
2740", this is something the RFC Editor adds prior to publication.

I had an 12th hour comment that we should include the RFC 2474  
mapping of precedence to Appendix A.1. This is what I came up with  
for text:

    o  The OSPFv2 specification (Appendix A.1 in [OSPFV2]) indicates  
that
       routing protocol packets are sent with IP precedence set to
       Internetwork Control (B'110') [IPV4].  If the IP precedence field
       is mapped to the Class Selector and included in the IPv6 header
       Traffic Class octet as specified in [DIFF-SERV], then bits 0-2 of
       the Traffic Class octet SHOULD be set to the Internetwork Control
       precedence in an effort to give OSPF protocol packets precedence
       over normal IPv6 data traffic.

This would also add the following references:

  [DIFF-SERV]
               Nichols, K., Blake, S., Baker, F., and D. Black,
               "Definition of the Differentiated Services Field (DS
               Field) in the IPv4 and IPv6 Headers", RFC 4576,
               December 1998.

  [IPV4]     Postal, J., "Internet Protocol", RFC 791, September 1981.

Can we agree that this should be added? Has the RFC 2474 mapping of  
IP precedence to IPv6 Traffic Class been widely accepted and deployed?

Thanks,
Acee

_______________________________________________
OSPF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 13:19:27 -0400

I've updated the terminology based on a conversations with Steve  
Blake, a colleague who has been involved with diff-serve from the  
beginning. However, I'll take full blame for the text. Also, I  
figured out how to add "Obsoletes 2740 (if approved)" to the header  
(thanks to Adrian Farrel for telling me this was possible).

o  The OSPFv2 specification (Appendix A.1 in [OSPFV2]) indicates that
    OSPF protocol packets are sent with IP precedence set to
    Internetwork Control (B'110') [IPV4].  If routers in the OSPF
    routing domain map their IPv6 Traffic Class octet to the
    Differentiated Services Code Point (DSCP) as specified in
    [DIFF-SERV], then OSPFv3 packets SHOULD be sent with their DSCP
    set to CS6 (B'110000'), as specified in [SERV-CLASS].  In networks
    supporting this mapping, OSPF packets will be given precedence
    over IPv6 data traffic.

    [DIFF-SERV]
               Nichols, K., Blake, S., Baker, F., and D. Black,
               "Definition of the Differentiated Services Field (DS
               Field) in the IPv4 and IPv6 Headers", RFC 2474,
               December 1998.

    [SERV-CLASS]
               Baker, F., Chan, K., and J. Babiarz, "Configuration
               Guidelines ofr DiffServ Service Classes", RFC 4594,
               August 2006.

I've still looking comments as to how people feel about the addition  
of the above text.

Thanks,
Acee