Subject: [OSPF] Required Changes to IPR boiler plates in Internet Drafts

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:08:21 -0500

Draft Authors,

As you probably know, we need to update the IPR statements in all the  
in-progress drafts before they can become RFCs. Possibly, the RFC  
Editor can help out for drafts that are awaiting publication but  
there are choices the authors need to make. I downloaded the  
"bleeding edge" version of xml2rfc (xml2rfc-1.34pre2) and specified  
ipr="trust200811"  in the rfc statement. This is the most  
unrestrictive IPR class. Here is the result of the diffs (with lines  
containing solely date changes removed).  Consult RFC 5377 and RFC  
5378 for the full discussion - I will not advise anyone on IPR issues  
but wanted to post the changes required for the unrestrictive case  
since that is what we are using for this draft.

Please update your drafts as soon as practical.

Thanks,
Acee

*** draft-acee-ospf-transport-instance-01.orig  Wed Sep 24 11:29:47 2008
--- draft-acee-ospf-transport-instance-01.txt   Mon Dec 15 08:12:10 2008
***************
*** 15,24 ****

   Status of this Memo

!    By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
!    applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
!    have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
!    aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79.

      Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
      Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
--- 15,22 ----

   Status of this Memo

!    This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance  
with the
!    provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

      Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
      Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
***************
*** 36,58 ****
      The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
      http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

!    This Internet-Draft will expire on March 28, 2009.

   Copyright Notice

!    Copyright (C) The IETF Trust (2008).

!
!
!
!
!
! Lindem, et al.           Expires March 28, 2009                  
[Page 1]

   Internet-Draft     OSPF Transport Instance Extensions      
September 2008

--- 34,58 ----
      The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
      http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

!    This Internet-Draft will expire on March 5, 2009.

   Copyright Notice

!    Copyright (c) 2008 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
!    document authors.  All rights reserved.

+    This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
+    Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
+    (http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
+    publication of this document.  Please review these documents
+    carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with  
respect
+    to this document.

! Lindem, et al.            Expires March 5, 2009                  
[Page 1]

   Internet-Draft     OSPF Transport Instance Extensions      
September 2008

***************
*** 91,97 ****
      6.  Normative  
References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
      Appendix A.   
Acknowledgments . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
      Authors'  
Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
-    Intellectual Property and Copyright  
Statements . . . . . . . . . . 12

--- 91,96 ----
***************
*** 612,672 ****

! Lindem, et al.           Expires March 28, 2009                 
[Page 11]
!

! Internet-Draft     OSPF Transport Instance Extensions     September  
2008
!
!
! Full Copyright Statement
!
!    Copyright (C) The IETF Trust (2008).
!
!    This document is subject to the rights, licenses and restrictions
!    contained in BCP 78, and except as set forth therein, the authors
!    retain all their rights.
!
!    This document and the information contained herein are provided  
on an
!    "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE  
REPRESENTS
!    OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY, THE IETF  
TRUST AND
!    THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES,  
EXPRESS
!    OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE  
USE OF
!    THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED
!    WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
!
!
! Intellectual Property
!
!    The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
!    Intellectual Property Rights or other rights that might be  
claimed to
!    pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
!    this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
!    might or might not be available; nor does it represent that it has
!    made any independent effort to identify any such rights.   
Information
!    on the procedures with respect to rights in RFC documents can be
!    found in BCP 78 and BCP 79.
!
!    Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
!    assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
!    attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the  
use of
!    such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this
!    specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR  
repository at
!    http://www.ietf.org/ipr.
!
!    The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
!    copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
!    rights that may cover technology that may be required to implement
!    this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF at
!    [email-masked].
!
!
! Acknowledgment
!
!    Funding for the RFC Editor function is provided by the IETF
!    Administrative Support Activity (IASA).
!
!
!
!
!
! Lindem, et al.           Expires March 28, 2009                 
[Page 12]

--- 612,616 ----

! Lindem, et al.            Expires March 5, 2009                 
[Page 11]

_______________________________________________
OSPF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf

---

From: "tom.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:56:15 +0100

---- Original Message -----
From: "Acee Lindem" <[email-masked]>
To: "OSPF List" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 4:08 PM
Subject: [OSPF] Required Changes to IPR boiler plates in Internet Drafts

> 5378 for the full discussion -

Well, you might want to consult the main ietf list for an update, or perhaps
not.

The new IPR seeks to allow the IETF Trust to grant permission for bodies outside
the IETF to modify an RFC, eg to the IEEE when the IEEE takes over the Ethernet
MIB module from the Ethernet WG.  For this to happen, anyone submitting an I-D
for publication as an RFC must grant those rights to the IETF Trust in the first
place.  The amateur lawyers on the ietf main list reckon that this requires the
editor of an I-D to go back and obtain permission for these additional rights
from all previous significant contributors to an RFC or I-D from which material
is appearing in the new I-D.

For new material, no problem (as long as you are happy to grant the IETF Trust
the right to allow other bodies to modify material in which you have copyright).

No legal opinion has yet been offered but one amateur lawyer reckons that all
IETF work stopped on December 16th when these new IPR rules came into effect.

So submit away, but be aware that there MAY be IPR repercussions at a later
date.

I too, as a rank amateur, will not advise on IPR issues.

Tom Petch

>  I will not advise anyone on IPR issues