Subject: [OSPF] Document Action: 'MANET Extension of OSPF using CDS Flooding' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:25:04 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'MANET Extension of OSPF using CDS Flooding '
   <draft-ietf-ospf-manet-mdr-05.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are David Ward and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ospf-manet-mdr-05.txt

Technical Summary

   OSPF-MDR is based on the
   selection of a subset of MANET routers, consisting of MANET
   Designated Routers (MDRs) and Backup MDRs.  The MDRs form a connected
   dominating set (CDS), and the MDRs and Backup MDRs together form a
   biconnected CDS for robustness.  This CDS is exploited in two ways.
   First, to reduce flooding overhead, an optimized flooding procedure
   is used in which only (Backup) MDRs flood new link state
   advertisements (LSAs) back out the receiving interface; reliable
   flooding is ensured by retransmitting LSAs along adjacencies.
   Second, adjacencies are formed only between (Backup) MDRs and a
   subset of their neighbors, allowing for much better scaling in dense
   networks.  The CDS is constructed using 2-hop neighbor information
   provided in a Hello protocol extension.  The Hello protocol is
   further optimized by allowing differential Hellos that report only
   changes in neighbor states.  Options are specified for originating
   router-LSAs that provide full or partial topology information,
   allowing overhead to be reduced by advertising less topology
   information.

Working Group Summary

    The OSPF WG  was unable to reach concensus on a single MANET OSPF
approach
     and agreed to go forward with the three competing approaches as 
     experimental RFCs. 

Document Quality

   Passed review and idnits

Personnel

   Dave Ward