Subject: Re: [OSPF] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-ospf-prefix-link-attr-10: (with COMMENT)

From: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 12:17:40 +0000

Hi Ben, 

Thanks for the review.

On 8/17/15, 6:44 PM, "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
>draft-ietf-ospf-prefix-link-attr-10: No Objection
>
>When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
>email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
>introductory paragraph, however.)
>
>
>Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
>for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.
>
>
>The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-prefix-link-attr/
>
>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>COMMENT:
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>I concur with Kathleen's DISCUSS and Alvaro's comment about the security
>considerations.
>
>Other comments:
>
>-- 2.1, definition of N-Flag
>
>There are a couple of occurrences of "NOT" in caps that are not combined
>with other 2119 keywords. I assume those are not intentional?

We will change these to “not”.

>
>-- 2.1, 4th paragraph from end, last sentence (also occurs in 3.1):
>
>The 2119 MAY here doesn’t seem helpful, since this is internal to a
>router and does not impact seem interoperability. I suggest it be
>restated without 2119 language, unless you want to make it a SHOULD or
>stronger.  

Depending on the application data being advertised and the timing of the
flooding, this could occur naturally so I will make it a “may” in both
cases. 

Thanks,
Acee

>(I am not a stickler that
>2119 keywords never be used for things that are not observable by a peer,
>but MAYs seem especially useless in that context. I did not object to the
>SHOULD in the prior paragraph, since that might have operational value.)
>
>