Subject: [OSPF] Protocol Action: 'OSPF Two-part Metric' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ospf-two-part-metric-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2016 14:02:46 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'OSPF Two-part Metric'
  (draft-ietf-ospf-two-part-metric-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-two-part-metric/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies an optional extension to the OSPF protocol,
   to represent the metric on a multi-access network as two parts: the
   metric from a router to the network, and the metric from the network
   to the router.  The router to router metric would be the sum of the
   two.

Working Group Summary

   As defined in RFC 2328 and RFC 5340, in traditional broadcast network, 
   router-lsa includes a metric defining interface output cost but not the 
   network-lsa. RFC 6845 defines a mechanism to allow a broadcast network 
   to work as a hybrid of broadcast and point-to-multipoint networks to 
   allow accurate representation of the cost of communication between different
   routers on the network.
   This document proposes an enhancement by adding a “Network-to-Router” metric, 
   and it reduces the size and the number of updates of router-lsa.

  The extensions for OSPFv3's Extended LSAs was removed from the document after
  IETF Last Call to remove the normative dependency.  OSPFv3 Extended LSAs still need
  an implementation to have certainty to progress that work.

  There has been an IPR disclosure: https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2287/

    All authors indicated during the WG adoption poll that they knew of no 
    other IPR on the draft. Tom McMillan could not reply to the second IPR 
    poll due to a medical leave.  

Document Quality

This document has been a WG document for more than one year.
   It is stable, without changes to the OSPFv2 technical solution for more
   than one year.

Personnel
      Yingzhen Qu is the Document Shepherd.
      Alia Atlas is the Responsible Area Director.