Subject: Protocol Action: A One-Time Password System to Draft Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 08:12:20 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft A One-Time Password System
  <draft-ietf-otp-02.txt> as a Draft Standard, replacing RFC1938,
  currently a Proposed Standard. This document is the product of the
  One Time Password     Authentication Working Group. The IESG contact
  person is Jeffrey Schiller.

Technical Summary
 
  This  document describes  a  one-time  password authentication  system
  (OTP). The system  provides authentication for system  access (login)
  and other applications requiring authentication that is secure against
  passive attacks based on replaying captured reusable passwords. It was
  first  published as a Proposed  Standard in RFC1938. The  protocol
  itself is unchanged since that document. This  revision includes a set
  of  verification values to help future implementers test their software.

Working Group Summary

  This document is the product of the One-Time  Password working
  group. There was strong working group consensus on this document.

Protocol Quality

  Jeffrey  I. Schiller  reviewed  the specification (and  verification
  suite) for the  IESG. Multiple implementations  are known to exist and
  properly interoperate.

Implementation Statement:

  Implementations exist from the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory and from
  Bellcore. These implementations have been tested to interoperate.

  For more information, see http://www.ietf.org/IESG/OTP-implementation