Subject: Re: [p2pi] ALTO service privacy, performance, and architecture

From: "Satish Raghunath" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 21:15:25 -0700

Stas,

If any peer is able to discover most of the participants of a
particular swarm, would you still consider it to be a privacy issue to
send a list of IP addresses/prefixes to the Oracle? The reason I ask
is that I see benefits to having this option. I can see a default mode
of operation where the client just downloads a policy and then a more
intelligent query that involves a set of IPs. That will allow for an
improvement in relevance and timeliness of the information.

> A literal sorting oracle operated by the ISP will, however, *not* be
> queried by P2P apps and is, therefore, not relevant.
>
> Passing just a few IP numbers to such an oracle is not enough because
> it won't solve the localization problem: chances are none of the few
> are nearby.

Say a client has downloaded the routing policy. It can still choose to
send a list of IPs (or more specific prefixes) that are in the
preferred set (as indicated in the downloaded policy) to have the
Oracle order it. Do you consider that worthwhile?

Satish
_______________________________________________
p2pi mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2pi

---

From: Stanislav Shalunov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 21:23:16 -0700

On Aug 2, 2008, at 9:15 PM, Satish Raghunath wrote:
> send a list of IP addresses/prefixes to the Oracle?

Yes.  The ISP does not have this information currently.  It could, in  
principle, play Media Defender and try to get it.  But it doesn't,  
because there is no incentive to do this.  The log files of a sorting  
oracle would become subpoena fodder.

> Oracle order it. Do you consider that worthwhile?

Not to the point of implementing.

In any case, why would the ISP provide this oracle, particularly in  
presence of routing policy export?

--
Stanislav Shalunov

---

From: "Stas Khirman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 23:42:19 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Stanislav Shalunov
[Stas Khirman] 
Not so sure - if oracle has no information about specific content associated
with given ALTO request, its log file contains no evidence of legal/illegal
content download. From evidence perspective, oracle log is less sensitive
than NetFlow information that any ISP may collect today (for traffic
planning purpose for example).