Subject: [P2Prg] Register for Ultrabroadband Networks and The Personal Media Cloud - Part III

From: Elias Aravantinos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 16:39:29 -0400 (EDT)

Ultrabroadband Networks and the Personal Media Cloud
June 22, 2007
at Columbia University

Davis Auditorium, Schapiro Center

530 West 120th Street

New York, New York
For a map to Davis Auditorium, click here

With broadband penetration progressing rapidly, one must think ahead to 
the next stage, where broadband transmission rates of over 1Gbps on the 
consumer level will likely be the driver of major changes in ICT, mass 
media, and consumer electronics. To advance the understanding of the 
issues, the Columbia Institute for Tele-Information will host an 
international conference, with the participation of academics, 
industry, and users.
The conference will bring together researchers to address the various 
aspects of ultrabroadband network technologies, strategies, trials, 
applications, and policies.

Agenda:
8:30 – 9:00am -- Conference Registration

9:00 – 9:30am -- Introduction

    *
      Eli Noam - Professor of Finance and Economics, Columbia 
University Graduate School of Business & Director, CITI

9:30am – 10:30am -- User supplied content and P2P ultrabroadband

    *
      Keith Ross, Professor, Polytechnic University. The challenges of 
the future P2P ultrabroadband
    *
      Daeho Kim, Professor, Inha University, Korea; Visiting Scholar, 
CITI, Columbia University. Growth and Adoption of User Generated 
Content in Korea
    *
      Ramon Casadesus-Masanell, Professor, Harvard Business School, 
Andres Hervas-Drane, University of Barcelona. Peer-to-Peer File Sharing 
and the Market for Digital Information Goods
    *
      Jun Shu, Professor, Department of Supply Chain and Information 
Technology Penn State University. A New Service Model for Content 
Distribution over Point-to-Point Networks

    *
      Discussant: TBA

10:30am – 10:45 -- Coffee Break

10:45am – 11:35am -- Enablers and obstacles of the ultrabroadband 
deployment

    *
      Ken Wacks, Management and Engineering Consultant. International 
standards issues in ultrabroadband home networks
    *
      Benjamin Chiao, School of Information, University of Michigan. 
TCP/IP protocol challenges
    *
      Anastassios Gentzoglanis, Professor, University of Sherbrooke. 
Forecast Models of Broadband Demand and Other Information Technologies
    *
      Discussant: TBA

11:40am – 12:30pm -- The wireless impact on the Ultrabroadband Media 
Cloud

    *
      Roy Hasson, Motorola Connected Home Solutions
    *
      J.H. Snider, Research Director, Wireless Future Program, New 
America Foundation, Washington. Spectrum Policy Wonderland: A Critique 
of Conventional Property Rights and Commons Theory in a World of Low 
Power Wireless Devices
    *
      Laura Forlano, Columbia University. The (Re)-emergence of the 
Community Form: Comparing the Use of WiFi Hotspots in New York, 
Montreal and Budapest
    *
      Discussant: Raul Katz, Director, Business Strategy Research, CITI

12:30pm – 1:30pm -- Lunch Break

1:30pm – 2:30pm -- Media firms strategies

    *
      Carlos Domingo Internet and Multimedia, Director of Telefonica R&D
    *
      Armando Calabrese, Professor, Roma University. Ultrabroadband 
Competition in the two-sided market
    *
      Ron Yurman, Senior Business Development Director, Short Media 
Hills
    *
      Discussant: TBA

2:30pm – 2:45pm -- Coffee Break
2:45pm – 3:30pm -- Impact on consumers

    *
      Ken Zita, Management Consultant, NAdventures. Social interactions 
with an intelligent infrastructure and the virtualization of social 
space
    *
      Jed Kolko, Research Fellow, Public Policy Institute of 
California. Digital divide of the social networks
    *
      Discussant: TBA

3:30pm – 4:30pm -- The role of the government and new policies

    *
      Russell Neuman, Professor of Media Technology, University of 
Michigan. "Content, Conduit and Commercials”
    *
      Chuck Davidson, Professor, Advanced Communications Policy program 
at New York Law School. “Promoting innovation and investment with 
public policy”
    *
      Discussant: Eli Noam, Director CITI

4:30pm -- Closing and Reception

Registration
Register online at http://www.ersvp.com/r/ultra3.

Corporate rate: $100. IEEE members: $40. Academics, government 
officials, and non-profit attendees: $35. Students: may attend for free 
without lunch, or for $10 with lunch. CITI Affiliates: please contact 
John Heywood at 212-854-4222 or [email-masked].
See http://www.citi.columbia.edu for additional information.

Conference Organized By Eli Noam, Elias Aravantinos, Raul Katz, and 
John Heywood
_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg