Subject: [p2prg] CFP: Massively Multiuser Virtual Environments (MMVE'09) Jan. 30, 2009 deadline

From: "Shun-Yun Hu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 09:57:57 +0800

--------------------------------------------------------
                 CALL FOR PAPERS

        The 2nd International Workshop on
 Massively Multiuser Virtual Environments (MMVE 2009)
 at the IEEE Conference on Virtual Reality 2009 (VR09)

                 March 15th, 2009
            Lafayette, Louisiana, USA
         http://peers-at-play.org/MMVE09/
--------------------------------------------------------

With the increasing number of potential users of virtual and augmented reality
systems, as indicated by the recent boom of massively multiuser online
societies, the design of distributed, massively multiuser virtual environments
becomes more and more important, posing new requirements on both distribution
platforms and virtual reality systems. Facing these challenges is a community-
spanning effort, necessitating the pooling of the resources and experiences of
the virtual reality and the networking and distributed computing communities.
The aim of this workshop is to provide a link between these communities to
foster the development of highly distributed, flexible and robust virtual
environments. Following up on last year's very successful workshop (MMVE'08) at
IEEE VR, we aim to gather the practitioners and researchers in these fields
under one roof to discuss their findings, incite collaboration, and move the
state of the art forward.

Topics
------

The main topic of this workshop is to provide a critical analysis of existing
distribution approaches for virtual environments and to identify key challenges
and techniques that are required for bringing VR systems into the global
Internet, interconnecting thousands of users in a single environment. More
specifically, the workshop addresses the following issues:

1. Scalability, i.e. the ability to handle thousands of (possibly nearby) users
   at the same time, interacting via the global Internet.

2. Interoperability, i.e. the ability to integrate multiple virtual worlds
   and/or service providers, e.g. using common protocols or universal clients.

3. Interactivity, i.e. how to provide highly responsive environments with near
   real time interaction despite network delay and jitter.

4. Bandwidth restricted (mobile) end user devices, e.g. the integration of
   mobile devices for nomadic augmented reality applications.

5. Dynamic and flexible distribution architectures, e.g. self-adapting
   client/server, peer-to-peer and hybrid architectures.

6. Content streaming, e.g. sound and 3D streaming.

7. Consistency, i.e. providing consistency guarantees to users of the
   distributed environment, despite the high level of responsiveness
necessary and
   the experienced network delay.

8. Persistency, i.e. the ability to save and access the state of the virtual
   environment despite disconnections and faulty components.

9. Security and privacy, e.g. distributed authentication algorithms that allow
   users to participate in the environment securely and without fear
of being spied
   on.

10. Implementation issues, e.g. novel approaches to effectively manage the
    complexity of developing applications for such environments.

Submission Guidelines
----------------------

Paper submissions must cover one of the topics listed above, or a closely-
related one.  Submitted papers should be about 5-6 pages long, use the IEEE
proceedings format and *must be blinded*. Research papers must be
original prior
unpublished work and not under review elsewhere. All submissions will be peer-
reviewed (double-blind) and selected based on their originality, merit, and
relevance to the workshop.

Submissions in PDF format must be submitted online through the workshop page at
http://peers-at-play.org/MMVE09/ no later than January 30th, 2009. Accepted
papers must be presented at the workshop. Selected papers will appear in a
special issue of the International Journal of Advanced Media and Communication
(IJAMC), subject to addressing all reviewer comments from MMVE and reformatting
according to IJAMC formatting guidelines.

If you have any questions, please email us at [email-masked].

Workshop Format
--------------------------------------------

The workshop will have three parts. The first part will be an invited keynote
talk. In the second part, we will have multiple sessions, each consisting of
about 3 talks. The last part of the workshop will consist of a common panel
discussion including all participants.

Important Dates
---------------
Submission Deadline:        January  30th, 2009
Acceptance Notification:    February  5th, 2009
Camera Ready Version:       February 15th, 2009
Workshop Date:              March    15th, 2009

Organizers
----------
 * Gregor Schiele, University of Mannheim, Germany
 * Shun-Yun Hu, National Central University, Taiwan
 * Arno Wacker, University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany
 * Wei Tsang Ooi, National University of Singapore, Singapore

Program Committee
-----------------
* Maha Abdallah, University of Paris VI, France
* Christian Bouville, IRISA, France
* Sonja Buchegger, University of California, Berkeley, USA
* Romain Cavagna, University of Paris VI, France
* Kuan-Ta Chen, Academia Sinica, Taiwan
* Abdennour El Rhalibi, Liverpool John Moores University, UK
* Chris GauthierDickey, University of Denver, USA
* Aaron Harwood, University of Melbourne, Australia
* Jehn-Ruey Jiang, National Central University, Taiwan
* Jauvane C. Oliveira, LNCC, Brazil
* Laura Ricci, University of Pisa, Italy
* Shervin Shirmohammadi, University of Ottawa, Canada
* Gwendal Simon, TELECOM Bretagne, France
* Shinichi Ueshima, Kansai University, Japan
* Suiping Zhou, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
* Roger Zimmermann, National University of Singapore, Singapore
_______________________________________________
p2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg