Subject: [p2prg] New version of the mythbuster-ing draft

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:24:40 +0200

Hi all,

we have just submitted an updated version of the draft that, as agreed
in Stockholm and later on this list, is now an IRTF document and will be
kept alive for a while to track advances in the field.

The draft is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-irtf-p2prg-mythbustering-00.txt

Diffs from the previous version can be found at:
http://tinyurl.com/l2o6yt

The new version should address most of the comments received on the
mailing list -- please check if it does -- including comments from
Arnaud sent back in February that for some reason got lost (my bad).

The parts that need more work right now are probably those about
possible impacts on peering/transit agreements and security. We heard
some insightful comments in Stockholm and it would be great if people
who have an opinion could share their thought and propose text on the
list as well.

-- 
Ciao,
Enrico

---

From: Fabio Hecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:55:57 +0200

Hi Enrico,

two suggestion for myths: 

1. Increased Overall Traffic

Considering that "Increased Application Performance" is very likely, it
is possible that P2P file-sharing users will download more files in less
time. Overall traffic at ISPs could therefore increase. Even though the
traffic will preferentially remain intradomain, it could reach a point
where there is an increase even in interdomain traffic. It is difficult
to estimate user behavior though.

2. Shorter Content Lifetime

Also derived from "Increased Application Performance", it is possible
that P2P file-sharing peers will download content faster. In the case of
BitTorrent, for example, many peers would become seeders more quickly
and reach the sharing ratio threshold for stopping seeding faster. The
torrent would more quickly have no more seeders.

Regards

Fabio

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 11:24 +0200, Enrico Marocco wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> p2prg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg
-- 
Fabio Hecht

University of Zurich - Department of Informatics (IfI)
Binzmühlestrasse 14 CH-8050 Zürich, Switzerland
Ph.: +41 44 6357129 / 6350892  Fax: +41 44 6356809
VoIP sip:[email-masked]

---

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:13:36 +0200

This is actually interesting, but it seems to me that such effects are
generically related to increase of available capacity (that of course is
the implicit goal of traffic optimization, but is achieved also by
regular upgrades of the network infrastructure) rather than specific to
localization, no?

Enrico

---

From: Fabio Hecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:03:47 +0200

Yes, they are rather indirect effects. Still I have not seen them being
considered.

Regards

Fabio

-- 
Fabio Hecht