Subject: [p2prg] DESERT Underwater: an NS-Miracle-based framework to DEsign, Simulate, Emulate and Realize Test-beds for Underwater network protocols

From: Paolo Casari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 14:49:32 +0200

Dear colleagues and underwater communications enthusiasts,

we are happy to announce the public release of a new open-source framework
for underwater network emulation and simulation. This tool will be
thoroughly described at the MTS/IEEE OCEANS 2012 conference in Yeosu, Korea, by
*Dr. Riccardo Masiero* who will present the paper

*"DESERT Underwater: an NS-Miracle-based framework to DEsign, Simulate,
Emulate and Realize Test-beds for Underwater network protocols" *

* *

*Session:* 02.8.4 Acoustic telemetry and communication 4

*Day:** *Wednesday, May 23, 2012

*Time* 3:40 PM - 5:20 PM

*Presentation** order*: 4

DESERT Underwater <http://nautilus.dei.unipd.it/desert-underwater> is the
exciting result of our work on underwater network protocol design and
simulation, as well as on the experimentation of network protocols using
actual acoustic modems.

The DESERT Underwater <http://goog_343458027>
<http://nautilus.dei.unipd.it/desert-underwater>suite incorporates several
modules for MAC, routing, transport and traffic generation at the
application layer, plus UWMPhy_modem, a module that makes it possible to
drive acoustic modems using the same software written for simulations.
(Currently, the WHOI FSK micromodem, the WHOI PSK micromodem and the
EvoLogics S2C modem series are supported.)

 DESERT Underwater v1.0.0 contains the following modules:

   - Our implementation of four MAC protocols (CSMA-Aloha, DACAP,
   Tone-Lohi, UW-Polling) plus a plain version of Aloha
   - USR, an error-controlled CSMA-Aloha version using selective repeat for
   static and mobile networks
   - Three routing modules (static routing, source routing for underwater
   networks (SUN), and our implementation of the Information-Carrying Based
   Routing (ICRP) protocol)
   - Two transport modules, including end-to-end error control functions
   - Two application-level modules (for constant and variable bit rate
   traffic generation)
   - Several mobility models for 3D underwater networks
   - A module to interface the ns-Miracle simulator with acoustic modem
   hardware, so that you can prototype your solutions in real deployments,
   instead of just simulating them

DESERT Underwater v1.0.0 can be downloaded on the web site

http://nautilus.dei.unipd.it/desert-underwater

where you can also find plenty of examples to experiment with the modules,
and a rich documentation that illustrates them.

If you do not want to install "yet another library" on your system, we have
prepared an alternative solution so that you can test DESERT Underwater
anyways: go ahead and download a *VirtualBox** virtual** machine*, where
everything is warm and ready for you to start experimenting!

Just follow the link: ftp://ftp.dei.unipd.it/pub/desert/DESERT_vm_1.0.0.ova

(more details on the DESERT
Underwater<http://nautilus.dei.unipd.it/desert-underwater>web site)

DESERT Underwater is open to the contributions of developers from the
community. If you are interested in any form of collaboration,
please contact Dr. Riccardo Masiero <masieror (at) dei (dot) unipd (dot) it>

For further details and explanations, Dr. Riccardo Masiero will be
availablein person for the whole duration of the conference.

Kind regards,

Riccardo Masiero, Paolo Casari, Michele Zorzi

and the DESERT Underwater development team<http://nautilus.dei.unipd.it/people>

-----

Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this mail.

-----