Subject: [p2p-sip] STUN/TURN/ICE integration

From: dbarrett at quinthar.com (David Barrett)
Date: Mon Nov 14 13:03:08 2005

I'm not sure if it's inside the mandate of this group, but are we open 
to re-considering the separation between SIP and STUN/TURN/ICE?

Given that anyone doing P2P SIP will need to solve the NAT and firewall 
penertration problems, it would be very nice to do it all within a 
single protocol with consisent grammars, conventions, state machines, 
etc.

Speaking as just a solo developer, I found it so difficult to 
understand, build, and follow the various standards (all of which are 
being continuously updated) I just gave up in order to get iGlance 
(http://www.iglance.com) out the door.  In the end I just expanded SIP 
slightly to encompass STUN/TURN/NAT, thereby allowing me to use a single 
FSM and single parser to manage the complete connection establishment 
process.

-david

---

From: eunsoo at research.panasonic.com (Eunsoo Shim)
Date: Mon Nov 14 13:21:28 2005

Certainly NAT/firewall traversal is an important problem for P2P SIP.
But I don't think this group should step on what other groups are 
working on, trying to redo or change whatever they did.
The basic approach about STUN/TURN/ICE will be asking those groups 
working on STUN/TURN/ICE to consider any requirements we might have for 
P2P SIP if the requirements were something those groups did not consider 
in the past.

On the other hand, one thing we should do about NAT Traversal is to 
figure how to use STUN/TURN/ICE for P2P SIP, in particular, how to let 
each peer locate  proper STUN/TURN servers.

Regards,

Eunsoo

David Barrett wrote:

> Given that anyone doing P2P SIP will need to solve the NAT and 
> firewall penertration problems, it would be very nice to do it all 
> within a single protocol with consisent grammars, conventions, state 
> machines, etc.
>
> slightly to encompass STUN/TURN/NAT, thereby allowing me to use a 
> single FSM and single parser to manage the complete connection 
> establishment process.
>
> -david
> _______________________________________________
> p2p-sip mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.cs.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/p2p-sip