Subject: [p2p-sip] First steps towards P2P-SIP

From: enrico.marocco at TILAB.COM (Enrico Marocco)
Date: Sat Nov 12 20:42:51 2005

Just some thoughts about the recent meeting.

As Henry suggested, maybe it's time to stop beating about the bush: p2p
for rtc is a fact and the longer propretary solutions (_the_ propretary
solution) arise, the harder it will be for a standard proposal being
adopted.  Probably the most effective way for proceeding is to identify
a few items in a charter list and to focus on them as deliverables:
 + distributed resource location (and call establishment);
 + integration with traditional SIP networks;
 + security.

Also one of the most crucial issues, as Cullen reported, is security.
Some aspects of security could, in fact, be harder to provide than
in traditional centralized networks (e.g. how can we efficently
assert identities, without a central authority?)

On the other hand, a very important feature - killer application for
existing solutions - would be NAT traversal.

Here is my proposal: why not trying to define a very "best effort"
core protocol, developing additonal features as separate applications
and providing an efficient way to find them?  In Henning's and
Cullen(et al.)'s works on services in sipping wg, there is some good
stuff which fits well in this domain, IMHO.

Cheers
Enrico

Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia S.p.A.

====================================================================
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons
above and may contain confidential information. If you have received
the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to 
[email-masked]. Thank you
====================================================================