Subject: [p2p-sip] First steps towards P2P-SIP

From: royrr at us.saic.com (Roy, Radhika R.)
Date: Tue Nov 15 09:24:48 2005

Wolfgang:

Let me rephrase it.

Our goal will be item 5 in BoF.

Items 1-4 will be special applications/use cases of item 5 that can be
implemented now keeping the scale of the solution in a limited environment
without violating the Internet principle..

Please note that items 1-4 are still p2p which is the basic principle of the
Internet.

Let me point out the works of MANET WG. It is still used as an access
network to the Internet, but its solution space is p2p in a limited
networking environment.

Any comments?

Best regards,

Radhika

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] On Behalf Of Beck01, Wolfgang
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 10:44 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [p2p-sip] First steps towards P2P-SIP

Richard wrote:

> We need a solution for small networks and one for large networks

I've counted even five scenarios:

1 living room; consumer electronics, low CPU power, low security demands,
high churn, small size

2 meeting venue; adhoc networks, friendly users(?), small size, high churn?

3 PBX; low churn, friendly users, moderate size

4 automatic clustering of SIP proxies; low churn, friendly users (= the
other proxies in the cluster), small size

5 Internet, low churn, unfriendly users; requires good security, very large
number of nodes

2-4 have more in common and seem easier to standardize than 1 and 5.
However, the IETF is

about the Internet with capital "I" so ruling out 5) might be used against
P2PSIP in

a BoF discussion.

Wolfgang

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/p2p-sip/attachments/20051114/4cdd4071/attachment.html