Subject: [p2p-sip] Fwd: mboned: FYI: Relayed Multicast Protocol

From: BeckW at t-systems.com (Beck01, Wolfgang)
Date: Tue Nov 22 03:57:36 2005

After skimming through X.603, I don't think it is very helpful for P2P SIP.
Think of a BitTorrent for real-time streams. Content location is central, content
distribution is decentral.

The multicast application is accessed through a central server, which performs AAA
and returns a list of 'multicast agents' MAs. The MAs are the peers which already
receive and redistribute the multicast traffic (application layer multicast). The
new MA connects to one of them and becomes part of the overlay. RMCP will support
1-n and n-n multicast.

It's an interesting proposal for application layer multicast, but P2P SIP has different
requirements.

Wolfgang

--
T-Systems
Next Generation IP Services and Systems
+49 6151 937 2863
Am Kavalleriesand 3
64295 Darmstadt
Germany