Subject: [p2p-sip] dhts

From: RoyR at saic-abingdon.com (Roy, Radhika (AEAD))
Date: Wed Nov 2 11:59:43 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]

Hi, Kishore:

Yes, as you have indicated, the main idea of this thread has been to
flush out the requirements for p2p protocol framework. This discussion
is taking a shape to go there as we are trying to converge after getting
all inputs from all sides.

The key is this: When we write our requirements for p2p protocol
framework, we know exactly where we are going. Rest is only a matter of
time to implement those requirements.

A little more steps in discussions will help us to crystallize our
thoughts in this direction.

Best regards,
Radhika

Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 11:44 AM
To: Roy, Radhika (AEAD)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [p2p-sip] dhts

Radhika,

Roy, Radhika (AEAD) wrote:

> Yes, if we can agree to create a "common" message structure, and  p2p 
> entities can use those messages for signaling among themselves this is

> what I mean a single p2p protocol. This serves the purpose what I have

> been saying.

I agree that a common message structure is important, but a) contents of

the structure and b) the semantics of the structure are key issues as 
well.  Does the common P2P protocol  contain information that is 
required for the protocols (and algorithms) used by various P2P systems 
(say X and Y)? If it does, then should it be interpreted by X and Y in 
the same way?  I see one  way of trying to do that is in addition to the

common structure, we should try to achieve an abstraction that can 
contain information needed by various algorithms and is flexible enough 
to let me them interpret in their own way (or may be even have some sort

of lose semantic framework for interpretation, not sure though).  Is 
this achievable?  Well, I think first we should flush out the
requirements.

Regards,
-- Kishore

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/p2p-sip/attachments/20051102/65e804f6/attachment-0001.html