Subject: [p2p-sip] what's the advantage of p2p-sip

From: shelby.tang at gmail.com (Shelby Tang)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:45:21 -0800

What's the advantage of p2p-sip. What's the problem we want to solve with
p2p-sip? Looks like most of discussion focus on the registration and call
setup. But with quality cluster servers and running linux, there is not much
problem there.

On the other side, what kind of value can p2p-sip bring to the users? We
have a lot of choice of instant message client, MSN, Yahoo, QQ etc. They
already have millions of users chatting there.

But skype won. The main reason is voice qulity of skype is much better.
Also, NAT of skype is nice, you can talk behind firewall. We are not sure
how skype achieve this.

So can p2p help on RTP? Can p2p provide some level of Qos for the voice
streaming? That is more important for me.

thanks,
Shelby
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/p2p-sip/attachments/20060210/e165c5ca/attachment.html

---

From: slavitch at gmail.com (Michael Slavitch)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:49:28 -0500

If your logic rang true we would be having this conversation on 3270
terminals, under permission, for a fee.

Taken to a further extreme the printing press would also be unnecessary, as
everything we need to know could be provided by a scribe, under permission,
for a fee, if it was so deemed by a higher authority, and then only then.

The basis of the argument is not trivial.

Regards

Michael

On 10/02/06, Shelby Tang <shelby.tang at gmail.com> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> p2p-sip mailing list
> p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
> https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/cucslists/listinfo/p2p-sip
>
>
>

--
Michael Slavitch
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/p2p-sip/attachments/20060210/6b7b10af/attachment.html