Subject: [p2p-sip] what's the advantage of p2p-sip

From: RADHIKA.R.ROY at saic.com (Roy, Radhika R.)
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:57:17 -0500

Shelby:
 
I guess it was discussed extensively in the mailing list before. Let us not
repeat this in this list. Some off-line discussions with members like David
and others will help you what are those benefits.
 
Because of the tremendous benefits of p2p arch, SIP also needs to be
peer-to-peer as the Internet itself is p2p. Of course, NAT, QoS, security,
etc. are to be addressed as a part of it.
 
What vendors like Skype and others are doing are only the beginning taking
some baby steps. The bright wonderful future lies ahead of us once we just
make SIP a little better making it pure p2p for VoIP applications.
 
Best regards,
Radhika

  _____  

From: p2p-sip-bounces at cs.columbia.edu on behalf of Shelby Tang
Sent: Fri 2/10/2006 2:45 PM
To: p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
Subject: [p2p-sip] what's the advantage of p2p-sip

What's the advantage of p2p-sip. What's the problem we want to solve with
p2p-sip? Looks like most of discussion focus on the registration and call
setup. But with quality cluster servers and running linux, there is not much
problem there. 
 
On the other side, what kind of value can p2p-sip bring to the users? We
have a lot of choice of instant message client, MSN, Yahoo, QQ etc. They
already have millions of users chatting there. 
 
But skype won. The main reason is voice qulity of skype is much better.
Also, NAT of skype is nice, you can talk behind firewall. We are not sure
how skype achieve this.
 
So can p2p help on RTP? Can p2p provide some level of Qos for the voice
streaming? That is more important for me.
 
thanks,
Shelby