Subject: [p2p-sip] Draft minutes for P2P-SIP BOF at IETF 65

From: RADHIKA.R.ROY at saic.com (Roy, Radhika R.)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 11:13:29 -0400

Folks:

It is very critical to understand the differences between p2p-SIP-over-IP
and signaling protocols-over-IMS/NGN.

IMS/NGN is the closed networks, and let them do what they need to do as they
did for PSTN, ISDN, ATM, FR, and others where many signaling protocols were
devised for providing services over those closed networks. Where are they
NOW?

Our focus is IETF's p2p IP Network where p2p-SIP will be used.

We must NOT be distracted by so called NGN and/or other works.

Best regards,

Radhika

-----Original Message-----
From: p2p-sip-bounces at cs.columbia.edu
[mailto:p2p-sip-bounces at cs.columbia.edu
<mailto:p2p-sip-bounces at cs.columbia.edu> ] On Behalf Of Michael Liu
Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2006 11:29 PM
To: Dean Willis; p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
Cc: Jon Peterson
Subject: Re: [p2p-sip] Draft minutes for P2P-SIP BOF at IETF 65

I'm interested about the service capability of p2psip, some one say p2psip
can do everything that c/s sip can do, including voice?video?real-time
text?presence?voice mail, etc , but how should these services be implemented
in p2p sip? which service should be distributed on p2p network and which
service can be hosted on a central server? 

In my opinion,  nat traversal and voice mail should be distributed on the
p2p network, voice?video?real-time text session can be established using sip
after a location service is completed by p2p layer . but I 'm not sure if
the authority service and presence service should be distributed on the p2p
network or  be hosted on a central server? which way is more practical ?

I took part in the NGN summit meeting hosted by china information industry
ministry ,most experts from the telecommunication equipment manufacturers
and service provider agreed that IMS is the target of  network evolution to
NGN, but one expert expressed the opposite opinion. he said p2p sip may be
another way to NGN, to achive this goal p2p sip must at lease offer all the
services IMS can provide technically. 

regards

Michael

Apr.3 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/pipermail/p2p-sip/attachments/20060403/084b97f8/attachment-0001.html