Subject: [p2p-sip] Where are we "getting wrapped around the DNS axle"

From: RADHIKA.R.ROY at saic.com (Roy, Radhika R.)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 14:29:45 -0500

Folks:

I am enclosing an URL for the paper, "Incentive for Large Peer-to-Peer
System," IEEE SAC, May 2006. 

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/49/34142/01626429.pdf

Hope that we can take some rest after so much hot discussions on this
topic.

Radhika

---

From: mlepinski at bbn.com (Matt Lepinski)
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 14:51:30 -0500

Radhika,

I've only read the introduction, but the paper seems to be an economic 
analysis of pricing/payment models for P2P systems. In particular, it 
appears that the main result of the paper seems to be that (for 
reasonably large P2P systems) the social welfare obtained from optimal 
incentive payments is not much better than the social welfare obtained 
from a very simple class of pricing model.

Personally, I find the analysis in the paper to be quite interesting 
but, unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem to be related to the 
current discussion.

- Matt Lepinski :->

Roy, Radhika R. wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>p2p-sip mailing list
>p2p-sip at cs.columbia.edu
>https://lists.cs.columbia.edu/cucslists/listinfo/p2p-sip
>
>  
>

---

From: RADHIKA.R.ROY at saic.com (Roy, Radhika R.)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:44:24 -0500

Hi, Matt:

You are right. The paper speaks for itself.

The key is this: The P2P system is a different paradigm and we have to
look into this with a little different way with different assumptions
and perspectives.

Otherwise, we will miss a lot of things as people did during the
pre-Internet period.

Best regards,
Radhika

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Lepinski [mailto:mlepinski at bbn.com] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 2:52 PM
To: Roy, Radhika R.
Cc: P2P-SIP
Subject: Re: [p2p-sip] Where are we "getting wrapped around the DNS
axle"

Radhika,

- Matt Lepinski :->

---

From: slavitch at gmail.com (Michael Slavitch)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:52:10 -0500

"The P2P system is a different paradigm and we have to
look into this with a little different way with different assumptions
and perspectives.

pre-Internet period."

Boiled down to the essentials.  Thank you.

The fact that it describes revenue models should not go missed on this
or any audience.

Regards
Michael