Subject: [P2PSIP] The client role in the Concepts and Terminology I-D

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 09:46:34 -0700

Given the importance of "Concepts and Terminology for Peer to Peer SIP",
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/internet-drafts/draft-willis-p2psip-co
ncepts-04.txt 

I would suggest improving the text by introducing something like this to
section 5.5.  Possible Client Behavior:

"One of the main motivations for the client protocol is to avoid the
'always talking' mode for mobile devices that would participate as full
peers and contribute the IP messages required for the overlay
maintenance. The continuous IP packet exchange may contribute to the
depletion of the battery and possibly also to increase the charges for
certain mobile services.

As a consequence, it is desirable for certain mobile devices to benefit
from the P2PSIP overlay but not to contribute to its maintenance or to
the routing and data storage functions of P2P SIP.

The client protocol is a subset of the peer protocol that allows the
client to store and retrieve data from the P2PSIP overlay and also to
exercise the overlay for message routing.

The client protocol should be flexible enough to also be extensible for
non-SIP applications, such as search, multicast, streaming media and
content distribution."

Delete on page 19 the following and similar on other pages:

"In essence, the client contributes its storage capacity to its
associated peer."...

Replace with:

"Due to their high churn and low bandwidth, certain mobile devices are
not only lesser capable peers, but actually would degrade the
performance of the P2P SIP overlay network as a whole."

Thanks,

Henry Sinnreich

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:15:40 -0400

Henry:

For the latest revision of the Concepts draft (now draft-ietf-p2psip- 
concepts-00), the authors elected to not make significant changes to  
the section discussing possible client behavior. While we have seem  
some discussion recently on the list, we didn't think that things had  
changed enough to warrant significant change yet. In fact, we are  
hoping that your promised draft on why we want clients, and the  
follow-up discussion, will provide material for the next revision.

- Philip

---

From: "HUANG Ping B" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:09:57 +0800

I have a question:
in section 5.2, in Option3 and option4, why Peer Y first contact Z, then
Register to W? and is Y a "Peer " or "client"? on the other word, what's
the scenario these options described? thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Henry Sinnreich [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 12:47 AM
To: P2PSIP Mailing List
Cc: [email-masked]; Philip Matthews
Subject: [P2PSIP] The client role in the Concepts and Terminology I-D

Replace with:

Thanks,

Henry Sinnreich

---

From: Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 07:31:49 -0400

If you didn't already do so, please look at the latest version of the  
draft
    draft-ietf-p2psip-concepts-00
We added a bit extra here in the latest version to try to make these  
options clearer.

Options 3 and 4 illustrate a proposal by Kundan Singh and Henning  
Schulzrinne
called the "service model". In that model, Y designates some other  
peer W to
always act as a proxy for it. Peer W is explicitly chosen by Y, and  
is presumably more
trusted by Y than peer Z, which is chosen automatically by the  
Distributed Database algorithm.
According to Kundan and Henning, having all calls go through W makes  
it easier to implement
certain forms of call handling.

The working group hasn't really discussed the pros and cons of the  
four options yet.
We are still working on more basic stuff.

- Philip