Subject: [P2PSIP] P2P SIP - Real-time Multimedia Services

From: FORTAINE Guillaume <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:17:07 +0200

Misters,

Happy New Year to You.

Let me introduce myself : Guillaume FORTAINE, Engineer in Computer
Science. It's an honor for me to send this mail to You.

I am definitely aware of Your preeminence in the Mobile
Telecommunications World.

Working with an Open Source Mesh Networks design team :

24C3: *Wireless Kernel Tweaking* 
<http://events.ccc.de/congress/2007/Fahrplan/events/2292.en.html>

We would greatly appreciate to set up a Working Group, if
possible, please to provide QoS (For VoIP/IPTV) to our Users :

*Real*-*time* Multimedia Services Using Hybrid *P2P SIP* 
<http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/4141327/4084518/04141533.pdf?tp=&isnumber=&arnumber=4141533>

*Real-time Multimedia Services Using Hybrid P2P SIP*
Mo, Yijun; Wang, Fei; Huang, Benxiong; Luo, Fu
Communications and Information Technologies, 2006. ISCIT apos;06. 
International Symposium on
Volume , Issue , Oct. 18 2006-Sept. 20 2006 Page(s):157 - 161
Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/ISCIT.2006.339907
*Summary:*SIP becomes one most poplar protocol in real-time multimedia 
services, but the central server becomes the single point of failure, 
While P2P becomes "killing level application" in Internet because of its 
robust and low cost. Combing P2P and SIP, we propose hybrid P2P SIP 
framework in the paper, and describe several important procedures, such 
as node registration, user registration and call procedure. But current 
P2P searching and routing arithmetic does not meet the requirement for 
low time delay in real-time multimedia applications. Then, we present a 
novel SOMCO arithmetic, which decreases the call delay and media 
forwarding delay to some extend. Simulation verifies that SOMCO is 
practical to support real-time multimedia services

Please find below our working plan :

(SBIR) Navy - *High Throughput and Low Latency Multi-Hop Mobile Ad* … 
<http://www.navysbir.com/n08_1/N081-102.htm>

OBJECTIVE: While MANET promises to significantly increase the available
Navy bandwidth, existing MANET throughput decreases exponentially as the
number of hops increases (hops > 4). This research will enable: 1) a
multimedia stream to hop over hundreds of nodes without quality
degradation and 2) hundreds of multimedia steams to cross a single node
without quality degradation; 3) an advance in the state-of-the art
videoconferencing and legacy application virtualization.
Develop an end-to-end software solution (based on low-cost commodity
hardware) that allows a multimedia stream (voice-over-internet-protocol
[VoIP], videoconferencing, screen/application sharing, file transfer,
and biological/chemical sensor data) to hop over a large number of nodes
without quality degradation as defined by psychological human factor
quality-of-service (QoS) requirements.

DESCRIPTION: Existing MANET solutions have difficulty delivering a
multimedia stream over a large number of hops. This research will
develop novel software solutions to maintain high throughput and low
latency for multimedia delivery over a large number of hops. The
solution should: allow >1 Mbps and <500 msec of delay over 100 hops and
be able to handle the cross-stream interference from multiple steams
flowing over a particular node; and allow low-bandwidth
videoconferencing for multiple sites (>100); exploit the difference in
human factor requirements for QoS for different multimedia (audio vs.
video, vs. sensor data, etc) to optimize the streaming of different
media types; use advanced compression and networking techniques to
achieve a significant reduction (10X) in bandwidth compared to existing
commercial solutions; advance in the state-of-the art videoconferencing
and legacy application virtualization; adapt to a variety of networks
(available bandwidth, packet loss rate and jitter); support FIPS 140-2
256 bit AES encryption; record the training sessions; and be able to run
as a web-service or as a stand-alone program on segmented/closed/MANET
networks.

We look forward to Your Answer,

Best Regards,

Dr. Guillaume FORTAINE
Consultant Service Strategy and Innovation
Company : Emppoo (Em(po)²) - Empowering The People
Street : Moulin d'Ignaucourt
ZIP : 62810
City : BERLENCOURT-LE-CAUROY
Country : FRANCE
Tel : +33631092519 <mailto:[email-masked]>

Quotes :

"Scientia potentia est.", Sir Francis Bacon

"I consider life itself to be an instinct for growth, for endurance, for 
the accumulation of force, for power: when there is no will to power, 
there is decline.", Friedrich Nietzsche

"Great engineering is about being frugal - it's easy to make great cars 
with a lot of resources.", Carlos Ghosn

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: "Roy, Radhika R Dr CTR USA USAMC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 09:22:23 -0400

Hi, Fortain:

I think that you can start working for all those QOS mechanisms within the framework of P2PSIP. Let me explain as follows:

1. Mobile Ad Hoc networks need P2P networking. As result, the applications also need to be P2P. P2PSIP WG is working for facilitating in building of P2PSIP applications.

2. The ad hoc mobility part is primarily related to the topology control of MANETs and MANET WG and AUTOCONFIG WG are working in the layers 2-through 3/4. The QOS-mechanisms of the network layer are being taken care of by those WGs.

3. The application layer QOS for SIP in peer-to-peer mode can best be working within the framework of P2PSIP WG because, I believe, you do not need to do anything explicitly related to mobility assuming that the lower MAC and network layer of MANET are being taken care of by those WGs (e.g. topology control, routing, QOS) and we can plug those things from the application layer to the lower network to work cooperatively.

4. It is true that we may have to do something in the P2P application layer like P2PSIP for QOS as well as for taking care of the ad hoc mobility, it is still not well understood by all of us. Once the P2PSIP signaling protocol is taken care of, we will gain more experiences what we have to do next.

However, if you suggest what specific problems related to QOS you want to address in the P2PSIP application Layer for solving the performance problems, we can then look into those taking Navy's QOS requirements for MANET networks.

I appreciate for bringing the interesting real problems in the P2PSIP WG mailing list.

Best regards,
Radhika

----- Original Message -----
From: FORTAINE Guillaume 
Date: Sunday, March 30, 2008 17:17
Subject: [P2PSIP] P2P SIP - Real-time Multimedia Services
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

> OBJECTIVE: While MANET promises to significantly increase the 
> availableNavy bandwidth, existing MANET throughput decreases 
> exponentially as the
> degradation and 2) hundreds of multimedia steams to cross a single 
> nodewithout quality degradation; 3) an advance in the state-of-the art
> hardware) that allows a multimedia stream (voice-over-internet-
> protocol[VoIP], videoconferencing, screen/application sharing, 
> file transfer,
> and biological/chemical sensor data) to hop over a large number of 
> nodeswithout quality degradation as defined by psychological human 
> factorquality-of-service (QoS) requirements.
> 
> achieve a significant reduction (10X) in bandwidth compared to 
> existingcommercial solutions; advance in the state-of-the art 
> videoconferencingand legacy application virtualization; adapt to a 
> variety of networks
> Tel : +33631092519