Subject: [P2PSIP] extension mechanism for P2PP

From: "John Buford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:03:14 -0400

The Scalable Adaptive Multicast RG is working on hybrid application layer
multicast protocols.  We would like to use P2PP as a substrate.
To support our experimentation without interfering with other implementations,
we propose that P2PP (or its future instantiation in Reload) provide an
experimental extension mechanism, such as:

1) a new message be added to the 18 existing message types:
   P2PP-Msg = ... | Experimental

with some language that peers should quietly ignore experimental
messages that they don't recognize.

2) the experimental message

   Experimental = Common-header
               Peer-Info
               Certificate-Sign-Request
               Password
               Extension-Name
               Extension-Body
   Extension-Name = SAM | ...
   Extension-Body = extension-specific

The SAM overlay protocol is defined in
draft-buford-irtf-sam-overlay-protocol-00.txt
and defines the above extension mechanism.

John
_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip