Subject: [P2PSIP] I-D on P2P Status and Requirements

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 13:36:34 -0700

The I-D ³P2P Status and Requirements² is a useful start, though it points to
many items that have to be discussed and corrected, such as:

* This is a bandwidth view only of the (elephant) problem. The correct title
should specify this and could be for example: ³P2P Bandwidth Issues: Status
and Requirements². There are many other requirements that could be the
object of separate I-Ds, for NAT traversal, for security, for mobile
clients, etc.

* There is a huge difference between various P2P networks, such as between
P2P file sharing and video distribution, vs. P2P SIP for real time
communications, P2P for application level multicast, etc.

* Peers and clients can have network friendly behavior similar to TCP, so no
complaints about network bandwidth need to arise in the first place. Skype
network bandwidth for example compares favorably with SIP using wideband
codecs in the same class (presence, wideband audio and conference class
video).

My apology for all the other requirements I may have missed.
This I-D requires much more work.
I recommend close coordination with the P2PSIP WG.
Maybe a face to face discussion at the 72 IETF would help.

Thanks, Henry 
_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip