Subject: [P2PSIP] status of reload overlay link congestion control/reliability

From: Bruce Lowekamp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 23:58:15 -0400

We had a lot of discussions on list about finding the right solution
for hop-by-hop congestion control and reliability for the overlay link
protocol.  The  author team also continued that discussion separately,
and, honestly, made no progress.  So the -03 draft has the following
interim solution.

- The main body of the draft includes a simple ack-based receiver and
a stop and wait sender.
- The TFRC and AIMD senders have been moved to an appendix.  They work
with the simple receiver.

If TCP over UDP or a similar separate specification appears to gain
traction toward standardization before reload is finished, we will
support adopting such a solution in reload.

If no such solution appears to be nearing consensus, we will have to
revisit the best approach for a uncomplicated semi-reliable congestion
control algorithm for UDP WAN links.  Stop and wait is probably
already fine for most LAN deployments.

Bruce