Subject: [P2PSIP] changes to *Attach* methods in RELOAD

From: Bruce Lowekamp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:57:55 +0200

With the -03 draft, we now have four Attach variants

Attach
AttachLite
AppAttach
AppAttachLite

We also have to face the additional problem that ICE-TCP is not making
progress, so having normative dependencies on it at this point seems
problematic.

I would like to propose that we address these two problems by merging
the Lite and non-Lite variants into the base methods, so we have only
Attach and AppAttach.  The request structures will be modified to
contain either ICE parameters or the current Lite information.  The
meaning of the Lite structure will remain the same---only use this in
a situation where the node is certain it is publicly reachable,
otherwise connectivity will fail.

If we write the section so that we implicitly support future
extensions to ICE, we should hopefully require no changes should
ICE-TCP eventually be completed.  Otherwise, if an alternative
mechanism for negotiating TCP is developed, a minor extension should
be possible to incorporate it.

Comments or suggestions?  I'd like to have rough consensus on this
change before looking into the details of implementing it.

Bruce