Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] New version of draft-ietf-p2psip-base

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 13:32:50 +0900

So the turnDensity is not dynamic in the sense that each node needs an  
algorithm to figure it out. It is changeable in that whoever can  
update the configuration file for the overlay can change the value in  
the configuration file.

I think the key issue here is that the discovery mechanism in base is  
a minimal approach - it does work fine, but it is far from optimal and  
not appropriate for complex discover situation. I imagine that  
services other than basic turn need something more advanced, such as  
draft-maenpaa-p2psip-service. That said, I still think the base draft  
need to describe something that can be used for minimal discover of  
TURN servers.

On Oct 27, 2009, at 19:33 , Jouni Mäenpää wrote:

> Hi Haibin,
>
>> In that case, the turnDensity is really dynamic, especially in an
>> overlay with high churn rate and there are few TURN servers in the
>> overlay. A TURN server has to register its information to the overlay
>> with different times when the turnDensity changes. Does it need to
>> delete some copies of its information or register more copies when  
>> the
>> turnDensity changes? I don't think this discovery mechanism in the
>> document is mature to implement.
>
> In the following draft that we submitted last week:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-maenpaa-p2psip-service-discovery-00.txt
>
> we are proposing a generic service discovery mechanism for RELOAD. As
> indicated in the RELOAD base draft, RELOAD currently defines a
> TURN-specific service discovery mechanism, but is lacking a generic
> mechanism for service discovery. So if you are interested in an
> alternative, more generic service discovery mechanism, you could  
> have a
> look at our draft.
>
> Regards,
> Jouni