Subject: [P2PSIP] Comments on draft-maenpaa-p2psip-service-discovery

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 09:10:31 +0900

This looks excellent.  I'd like to implement it and see what I find  
but at first read, I really like it.

Cullen <in my individual contributor role>

---

From: Jouni Mäenpää <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 10:21:33 +0900

Hi,

> I'd like to implement it and see what I find

The ReDiR service discovery mechanism used in the draft has actually
been used in OpenDHT. Some data about its performance is available in
[1]. The main findings include that the increase in latency is rather
small when compared to the use of well-known keys for finding services.
The mechanism can also tolerate churn and uses only a low amount of
bandwidth.

Regards,
Jouni

[1] Rhea, S., Godfrey, B., Karp, B., Kubiatowicz, J.,
Ratnasamy, S., Shenker, S., Stoica, I., and H. Yu,
"OpenDHT: A Public DHT and its Uses",  SIGCOMM'05.

Cullen Jennings wrote:
> 
> This looks excellent.  I'd like to implement it and see what I find but
> at first read, I really like it.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> P2PSIP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: Erkki Harjula <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 04:09:50 +0200 (EET)

I like the draft too. Service discovery is indeed one of the most important 
features of a P2P network, and so far we have not seen any advanced 
solutions for it in P2PSIP WG. Implementing a prototype seems 
straightforward, as it does not require any special functionality from the 
base protocol.

-Erkki

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Cullen Jennings wrote:

>
> This looks excellent.  I'd like to implement it and see what I find but at 
> first read, I really like it.
>