Subject: [P2PSIP] Load balancing survey draft

From: Erkki Harjula <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 08:54:55 +0200 (EET)

Hi all,

We have submitted a survey draft on different technology options for load 
balancing in structured P2P networks (including P2PSIP). The draft provides 
a survey of the existing and proposed load balancing mechanisms, 
categorizes them into four fundamental models, and briefly analyzes the 
main characteristics of each fundamental model. The goal is to provide 
background information on different possible load balancing options for 
P2PSIP.

The draft can be found at 
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-harjula-p2psip-loadbalancing-survey-00.txt. 
Please accept our apologies for the unfinished layout (for some reason, the 
submission tool did not allow us to update the draft with an improved 
version).

Comments are welcome!

Thanks,
-Erkki

---

From: Jouni Mäenpää <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 12:07:50 +0900

Hi,

I think this draft provides a nice summary of different load balancing
models. One thing that might be good to add to the next revision is a
table summarizing the pros and cons of each model. You could also
consider the additional load some of the models place on a central
enrollment server that may be used by the overlay (e.g., if peers need
to obtain new Node-IDs to relocate themselves).

Regards,
Jouni

Erkki Harjula wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> We have submitted a survey draft on different technology options for
> load balancing in structured P2P networks (including P2PSIP). The draft
> provides a survey of the existing and proposed load balancing
> mechanisms, categorizes them into four fundamental models, and briefly
> analyzes the main characteristics of each fundamental model. The goal is
> to provide background information on different possible load balancing
> options for P2PSIP.
> 
> Please accept our apologies for the unfinished layout (for some reason,
> the submission tool did not allow us to update the draft with an
> improved version).
> 
> Comments are welcome!
> 
> Thanks,
> -Erkki
> _______________________________________________
> P2PSIP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: Erkki Harjula <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 06:40:01 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

you are right, the draft should include a table summarizing the main 
characteristics - pros and cons. In a matter of fact, it is already 
included in the new version of the draft (which I was not able to update to 
the IETF database due to technical problems).

We are planning to extend the draft with more detailed feature/cost 
analysis.

-Erkki