Subject: [P2PSIP] LeaveReq.leaving_peer_id

From: "Michael Chen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 21:23:47 -0700

Hi,

What is the purpose of LeaveReq.leaving_peer_id? Are we allowing peer-A
"inform" peer-B that peer-C has left the overlay?  If yes, what kind of
access control or security policy govern the sender peer-A?  If no, then
we should remove this field and mandates that LeaveReq can only be sent
from the peer that is actually leaving.

Thanks

--Michael

---

From: jc <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:56:17 -0400

I believe it is a leftover parameter that should be removed from the draft. It serves no legitimate purpose and opens an exploit where one could flood the overlay with phony leave requests not signed by the identifier's owner if handled improperly.

Julian Cain

On Oct 11, 2010, at 12:23 AM, "Michael Chen" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> P2PSIP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:04:34 -0700

The same issue applies with JoinReq. I noticed it in my last read through
and was
just about to add a check against the signature. If the WG consensus is to
remove these parameters I'm
happy to do so.

-Ekr

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:56 AM, jc <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I believe it is a leftover parameter that should be removed from the draft.
> It serves no legitimate purpose and opens an exploit where one could flood
> the overlay with phony leave requests not signed by the identifier's owner
> if handled improperly.
>
> Julian Cain
>