Subject: [P2PSIP] STUN keep-alive in AppAttach(ed) connection

From: "Michael Chen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:56:36 -0700

Hi,

In base draft, section 5.5.2.1 (about AppAttach), it states,

  "The application using connection set up with this request is
   responsible for providing sufficiently frequent keep traffic for NAT
   and Firewall keep alive and for deciding when to close the
   connection."

When such a connection is established by ICE, it means that it is
capable of multiplexing STUN bind and indication messages with other
messages (application). Wouldn't it be natural for the RELOAD layer that
completed the ICE check and DTLS to also use STUN indication message to
keep everything alive (firewall, connection, UDP session, etc.)? which
is identical to that of a connection created from the Attach message.

This is an inter-op issue that must be approved or disapproved by this
draft, so I would like to hear comments from the authors.

Thank you

--Michael

---

From: Bruce Lowekamp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:46:05 -0500

Michael,

IIRC, an earlier draft said that, but there were requests that the
keepalive method be left up to the application using it, as that
consumer may have its own keepalive method and it might even be hard
to convert that application (and its implementation) to work on such a
link, so it was changed to the current wording.  Basically, any draft
that specifies how an application would use a connection established
via AppAttach needs to specify its keepalive method.

Bruce

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 8:56 PM, Michael Chen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> P2PSIP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: "Michael Chen"<[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 07:27:11 -0800

Bruce,

In that case, the SIP usage must include a section for keep alive. I don't see one in the current sip-7 draft.

Again, this is a critical inter-op issue that must be defined by the working group, if not in base, then in sip usage.

Thanks

--Michael

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on AT&T

-----Original message-----
From: Bruce Lowekamp <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Chen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Sat, Feb 18, 2012 18:46:05 GMT+00:00
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] STUN keep-alive in AppAttach(ed) connection

Michael,

Bruce