Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] WG Call for adoption: draft-peng-p2psip-snmp-04

From: pengjin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 10:31:23 +0800

After reading the draft, I think that DHT based P2P networks need management tools such as SNMP. It will help operators to gather network statistics, quickly troubleshoot network problems and gain more control over the distributed network. If there is a lot of peer who producing the network management information, it will be helpful to have the SNMP as the usage of Reload to win the scalability. And I think it is ready to be working group adoption.  

Peng Jin

From: CarlosJes鷖 Bernardos Cano
Date: 2012-06-21 21:06
To: p2psip
CC: p2psip-chairs
Subject: [P2PSIP] WG Call for adoption: draft-peng-p2psip-snmp-04
Hi,

In Paris, there was a hum asking the group for consensus to move towards
adopting the RELOAD SNMP draft as a working group item.

This email starts a 2-week consensus call on adopting

        Title           : An SNMP Usage for RELOAD
        Author(s)       : YongLin Peng
                          Wei Wang
                          ZhenWu Hao
                          Yu Meng
        Filename        : draft-peng-p2psip-snmp-04.txt
        Pages           : 24
        Date            : 2012-03-06

as a P2PSIP WG document. Please, read the current revision and state you
opinion either for or against adoption (and with reasoning why) in the
mailing list. The call for adoption ends 5th July 2012.

Brian & Carlos

-- 
Carlos Jes鷖 Bernardos Cano     http://www.netcoms.net
   GPG FP: D29B 0A6A 639A A561 93CA  4D55 35DC BA4D D170 4F67
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                IEEE Network Special Issue on
                  Video over Mobile Networks
 http://dl.comsoc.org/livepubs/ni/info/cfp/cfpnetwork0313.htm 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 08:25:26 -0700

I read this draft and I am not sure that it is ready for adoption as working
group item.  The draft seems to be doing 2 different things, 1) defining a MIB
for RELOAD and 2) using RELOAD to find the network manager.  For 1) I think
that the MIB as defined exposes only a very small set of data, and needs to be
extended.  For 2) I must say that I do not really understand the mechanism.

So this draft needs more work but I am not sure what WG adoption will get us.
 The energy in the WG is very low, and I think that this energy should be
better used WGLCing the existing WG drafts (as promised back in Quebec City),
and adopting drafts that are in better shape, like SHARE/DISCO.

Meanwhile I am willing to do a complete review of the document some time in
the future.

On 06/21/2012 06:06 AM, Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano wrote:
> Title           : An SNMP Usage for RELOAD Author(s)       : YongLin Peng 
> Wei Wang ZhenWu Hao Yu Meng Filename        :
> draft-peng-p2psip-snmp-04.txt Pages           : 24 Date            :
> 2012-03-06
> 

- -- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Email: [email-masked]
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org
Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/petithug

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 15:33:37 +0800

Hi Marc,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. For the MIB issues, experts from SNMP area 
asked us to add basic MIB information at #82 meeting. We argued that our 
draft is mainly for describing the SNMP over RELOAD mechanism, so that MIB 
definition is not necessary. After discussion at the meeting, it is agreed 
that only a minimum set of MIBs needs to defined in this draft. 
The SNMP over RELOAD draft covers both the P2PSIP and SNMP area. It might 
be difficult for P2P experts or SNMP experts to fully understand the 
mechanism to find the network manager using RELOAD. We will try to improve 
the writing on this part by adding more cross reference and giving more 
details. We look forward to your comments in this part and will improve 
the draft accordingly.
We think most issues regarding to the draft are minor and the draft is 
mature enough to be adopted. We will consistently put efforts in improving 
the draft after it gets adopted and attracts more attention from people 
outside the workgroup.

***************************************
Email：        [email-masked]
TEL：          025-52871543
Mobile：       13776637274
Fax：          025-52872187
***************************************

Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]> 
发件人:  [email-masked]
2012-07-03 23:25

收件人
[email-masked]
抄送
[email-masked], [email-masked]
主题
Re: [P2PSIP] WG Call for adoption: draft-peng-p2psip-snmp-04

I read this draft and I am not sure that it is ready for adoption as 
working
group item.  The draft seems to be doing 2 different things, 1) defining a 
MIB
for RELOAD and 2) using RELOAD to find the network manager.  For 1) I 
think
that the MIB as defined exposes only a very small set of data, and needs 
to be
extended.  For 2) I must say that I do not really understand the 
mechanism.

So this draft needs more work but I am not sure what WG adoption will get 
us.
 The energy in the WG is very low, and I think that this energy should be
better used WGLCing the existing WG drafts (as promised back in Quebec 
City),
and adopting drafts that are in better shape, like SHARE/DISCO.

Meanwhile I am willing to do a complete review of the document some time 
in
the future.

- -- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin

--------------------------------------------------------
ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail (and any attachment transmitted herewith) is privileged and confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s).  If you are not an intended recipient, any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of the information contained is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this mail in error, please delete it and notify us immediately.