Subject: [P2PSIP] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-p2psip-share-09: (with COMMENT)

From: "Stephen Farrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 05:43:24 -0700

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-p2psip-share-09: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-p2psip-share/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

- General: this feels more like an experimental spec. If the
authors didn't object I think that'd be more appropriate.

- General: can these ACLs be resources to which access is
controlled via another of these ACLs? If so, then it seems like
there may be some nasty corner-cases where things get lost (so
nobody can change 'em in future) and I don't see how one might
recover from that. (Apologies if I'm just mixed up here, I read
this fairly quickly and didn't reload RELOAD into my little head
first;-)

- 3.1: 24 bits of collision resistance isn't many. I'm not clear
why that's ok 

- 3.1, last para: SHA-1 isn't a good example really, SHA-256
would be better today.

- 5.3: Is the mapping to USER and DOMAIN from certificates
well-defined? It may be in RELOAD, I forget, sorry;-) It doesn't
seem to be well-defined here anyway.

---

From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 17:01:22 +0100

Hi,

please see inline.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-p2psip-share/

Well authors hope(d) for this to serve as an enabling standard ...

> this fairly quickly and didn't reload RELOAD into my little head

No. The ACL is itself a shared resource owned by the initial creator 
that will have full rights as long as the resource (and the owner) 
exist. There is no way of disabling the owner.

> - 3.1: 24 bits of collision resistance isn't many. I'm not clear

This actually is meant for small numbers and the storing peer protects 
against collisions (see SecDir review).

> - 3.1, last para: SHA-1 isn't a good example really, SHA-256

This is from Reload - we are not specifying overlay hash functions in 
this document.

> seem to be well-defined here anyway.

Yes, certificate and usernames are held in correspondence by reload.

Cheers,
  Thomas
-- 

Prof. Dr. Thomas C. Schmidt
° Hamburg University of Applied Sciences                   Berliner Tor 7 °
° Dept. Informatik, Internet Technologies Group    20099 Hamburg, Germany °
° http://www.haw-hamburg.de/inet                   Fon: +49-40-42875-8452 °
° http://www.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~schmidt    Fax: +49-40-42875-8409 °