Subject: [Pals] Document shepherd writeup for draft-ietf-pals-vccv-for-gal-03

From: "Bocci, Matthew (Matthew)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 17:10:40 +0000

Working Group,

I am the document shepherd for draft-ietf-pals-pals-vccv-for-gal-03.

Please find the document shepherd writeup below.

Regards

Matthew

======
Document Shepherd Write-Up

     draft-ietf-pals-vccv-for-gal-03.txt

(1) What type of RFC is being requested (BCP, Proposed Standard,
Internet Standard, Informational, Experimental, or Historic)? Why is
this the proper type of RFC? Is this type of RFC indicated in the title
page header?

Standards Track.

This is appropriate since the draft defines the usage of the Generic Associated
Channel Label (GAL) in a new context (a pseudowire signaled using tLDP) and also
 makes additions to the VCCV channel type negotiation procedures defined in RFC5885
 for the GAL, along with a new code point from the MPLS VCCV CC Types IANA registry,
 which requires IETF consensus.

(2) The IESG approval announcement includes a Document Announcement
Write-Up. Please provide such a Document Announcement Write-Up. Recent
examples can be found in the "Action" announcements for approved
documents. The approval announcement contains the following sections:

Technical Summary:

   This document specifies a new Virtual Circuit Connectivity
   Verification (VCCV) (RFC5085) control channel type for use with
   pseudowires (PW) carried over an MPLS network.  This new channel type
   uses the Generic Associated Channel Label (GAL) (RFC5586) to
   distinguish VCCV packets from packets carrying user data. Although the use
   of the GAL on PWs in MPLS-TP is defined in RFC6423, this draft specifies
   the necessary extensions to VCCV to support the GAL on PWs setup and maintained
   using targeted LDP (tLDP).

Working Group Summary:

   There was nothing particularly unusual in the progress of the draft. The document
   originated in the PWE3 working group and moved to the PALS working group when PWE3
   was concluded in November 2014. The primary
   debate in PWE3 was whether earlier control channel types (e.g. Router Alert) that do
   not use the control word should be deprecated in favour of the use of the GAL. This
   was resolved through the implementation survey described in RFC7079, which
   showed that there were significant deployments of both pseudowires
   using Router Alert or TTL expiry as the VCCV Channel Type. This draft therefore
   does not deprecate other channel types, but rather provides a clear order of
   precedence when more than one channel type is supported.

Document Quality:

   There are multiple implementations of the GAL for MPLS-TP LSPs and PWs. Many
   implementations of the LDP extensions for negotiating the use of the existing
   VCCV control channel on a targeted LDP signalled PW are also known to exist.
   The document has also been widely reviewed by the original authors of and
   contributors to VCCV (RFC5085).

Personnel:

   The Document Shepherd is Matthew Bocci ([email-masked])
   The Responsible Area Director is Deborah Brungard ([email-masked])

(3) Briefly describe the review of this document that was performed by
the Document Shepherd. If this version of the document is not ready for
publication, please explain why the document is being forwarded to the
IESG.

   I have reviewed the document several times during its development. There
   are a couple of outstanding minor typographical errors that I have made the
   authors aware of that I believe can be fixed at the next revision. The document
   is ready to be forwarded to the IESG.

(4) Does the document Shepherd have any concerns about the depth or
breadth of the reviews that have been performed?

  No. The document has been reviewed many times by the PWE3 and received a number
  of WG last call comments in PALS which were addressed by the authors.

(5) Do portions of the document need review from a particular or from
broader perspective, e.g., security, operational complexity, AAA, DNS,
DHCP, XML, or internationalization? If so, describe the review that took
place.

   There are no parts of the draft that require further review or the help of a
   MIB doctor.

(6) Describe any specific concerns or issues that the Document Shepherd
has with this document that the Responsible Area Director and/or the
IESG should be aware of? For example, perhaps he or she is uncomfortable
with certain parts of the document, or has concerns whether there really
is a need for it. In any event, if the WG has discussed those issues and
has indicated that it still wishes to advance the document, detail those
concerns here.

  I have no specific concerns.

(7) Has each author confirmed that any and all appropriate IPR
disclosures required for full conformance with the provisions of BCP 78
and BCP 79 have already been filed. If not, explain why?

 An IPR poll was conducted in the PALs list. Each author responded that they
 were not aware of any relevant IPR. There were no other responses.

(8) Has an IPR disclosure been filed that references this document? If
so, summarize any WG discussion and conclusion regarding the IPR
disclosures.

   There are no IPR declarations against this draft.

(9) How solid is the WG consensus behind this document? Does it
represent the strong concurrence of a few individuals, with others being
silent, or does the WG as a whole understand and agree with it?

  I believe the draft represents working group consensus. The document has
  been reviewed many times by the PWE3 WG and received a number
  of WG last call comments in PALS which were addressed by the authors. There
  was considerable support shown for the draft during WG last call.

(10) Has anyone threatened an appeal or otherwise indicated extreme
discontent? If so, please summarise the areas of conflict in separate
email messages to the Responsible Area Director. (It should be in a
separate email because this questionnaire is publicly available.)

  None indicated.

(11) Identify any ID nits the Document Shepherd has found in this
document. (See http://www.ietf.org/tools/idnits/ and the Internet-Drafts
Checklist). Boilerplate checks are not enough; this check needs to be
thorough.

   The document passes ID Nits. There are no relevant warnings.

(12) Describe how the document meets any required formal review
criteria, such as the MIB Doctor, media type, and URI type reviews.

   The document does not require any further formal review.

(13) Have all references within this document been identified as either
normative or informative?

   Yes. The references section is split into Normative and Informative sections.
   These are appropriate.

(14) Are there normative references to documents that are not ready for
advancement or are otherwise in an unclear state? If such normative
references exist, what is the plan for their completion?

   No. All normative references are to published RFCs.

(15) Are there downward normative references references (see RFC 3967)?
If so, list these downward references to support the Area Director in
the Last Call procedure.

  There are no downward normative references.

(16) Will publication of this document change the status of any existing
RFCs? Are those RFCs listed on the title page header, listed in the
abstract, and discussed in the introduction? If the RFCs are not listed
in the Abstract and Introduction, explain why, and point to the part of
the document where the relationship of this document to the other RFCs
is discussed. If this information is not in the document, explain why
the WG considers it unnecessary.

   This document does not make any changes to the status of existing RFCs. Note that
   although the draft does add a channel type to VCCV, defined in RFC5085, it does
   not deprecate or otherwise change the status of existing channel types defined in
   RFC5085.

(17) Describe the Document Shepherd's review of the IANA considerations
section, especially with regard to its consistency with the body of the
document. Confirm that all protocol extensions that the document makes
are associated with the appropriate reservations in IANA registries.
Confirm that any referenced IANA registries have been clearly
identified. Confirm that newly created IANA registries include a
detailed specification of the initial contents for the registry, that
allocations procedures for future registrations are defined, and a
reasonable name for the new registry has been suggested (see RFC 5226).

   The IANA considerations section is consistent with the body of the document.
   there are two IANA requests, one for a new channel type code point and one
   for a new LDP status code. The procedures for their use are specified in the body
   of the document.

(18) List any new IANA registries that require Expert Review for future
allocations. Provide any public guidance that the IESG would find useful
in selecting the IANA Experts for these new registries.

  There are no new IANA registries.

(19) Describe reviews and automated checks performed by the Document
Shepherd to validate sections of the document written in a formal
language, such as XML code, BNF rules, MIB definitions, etc.

   There are no sections written in a formal language that would require
   further checks.

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 18:58:59 -0500

Matthew,

Many thanks for the writeup.

PALS,

The draft was just submitted to the IESG for publication.

Cheers,
Andy

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 12:10 PM, Bocci, Matthew (Matthew) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> There
> _______________________________________________
> Pals mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pals
>
>