Subject: [Pals] I-D Action: draft-ietf-pals-congcons-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 01:40:18 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services of the IETF.

        Title           : Pseudowire Congestion Considerations
        Authors         : Yaakov (Jonathan) Stein
                          David L. Black
                          Bob Briscoe
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pals-congcons-02.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2016-04-21

Abstract:
   Pseudowires (PWs) have become a common mechanism for tunneling
   traffic, and may be found in unmanaged scenarios competing for
   network resources both with other PWs and with non-PW traffic, such
   as TCP/IP flows.  It is thus worthwhile specifying under what
   conditions such competition is acceptable, i.e., the PW traffic does
   not significantly harm other traffic or contribute more than it
   should to congestion.  We conclude that PWs transporting responsive
   traffic behave as desired without the need for additional mechanisms.
   For inelastic PWs (such as TDM PWs) we derive a bound under which
   such PWs consume no more network capacity than a TCP flow.  For TDM
   PWs, we find that the level of congestion at which the PW can no
   longer deliver acceptable TDM service is never significantly greater,
   and typically much lower, than this bound.  Therefore, as long as the
   PW is shut down when it can no longer deliver acceptable TDM service,
   it will never do significantly more harm than even a single TCP flow.
   If the TDM service does not automatically shut down, a mechanism to
   block persistently unacceptable TDM pseudowires is required.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-congcons/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pals-congcons-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-pals-congcons-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/