Subject: [Pals] Protocol Action: 'PW Endpoint Fast Failure Protection' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pals-endpoint-fast-protection-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 15:15:56 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'PW Endpoint Fast Failure Protection'
  (draft-ietf-pals-endpoint-fast-protection-05.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-endpoint-fast-protection/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies a fast mechanism for protecting pseudowires
   against egress endpoint failures, including egress attachment circuit
   failure, egress PE failure, multi-segment PW terminating PE failure,
   and multi-segment PW switching PE failure.  Operating on the basis of
   multi-homed CE, redundant PWs, upstream label assignment and context
   specific label switching, the mechanism enables local repair to be
   performed by the router upstream adjacent to a failure.  The router
   can restore a PW in the order of tens of milliseconds, by rerouting
   traffic around the failure to a protector through a pre-established
   bypass tunnel.  Therefore, the mechanism can be used to reduce
   traffic loss before global repair reacts to the failure and the
   network converges on the topology changes due to the failure.

Working Group Summary

   This has been reviewed by the WG and there is nothing contentious in
   it. There have been a number of attempts at designing a more general
   solution in the MPLS WG, but none have reached this level of 
   maturity, and it is therefore appropriate to publish this pseudowire
   specific solution.
 
Document Quality

  This is a well written document. I do not anticipate any interworking
   issues between independent implementations.
 
Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Stewart Bryant
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard