Subject: [Pals] Document Action: 'Dual-Homing Protection for MPLS and MPLS-TP Pseudowires' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-dual-homing-protection-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:31:17 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Dual-Homing Protection for MPLS and MPLS-TP Pseudowires'
  (draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-dual-homing-protection-06.txt) as
Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-dual-homing-protection/

Technical Summary

This document describes a framework and several scenarios for a
Pseudowire (PW) dual-homing local protection mechanism which avoids
unnecessary switchovers and which can be used for scenarios using a
control plane or not using a control plane.  A Dual-Node
Interconnection (DNI) PW is used for carrying traffic between the
dual-homing Provider Edge (PE) nodes for carrying traffic when a
failure occurs in one of the Attachment Circuits (AC) or PWs.  This
PW dual-homing local protection mechanism is complementary to
existing PW protection mechanisms.

Working Group Summary

This was a straight-forward design process with no controversy.

The AD discussed with the Chairs and Authors to combine this
document with the companion standards track document, the
preference was to do as two separate documents. There was
some shuffling on the content, e.g. the state diagram was moved
to the standards track document.

Document Quality

Dual homed protection is important for mobile services, and the 
need for this is called out in BBF TR-221 " Technical Specifications 
for MPLS in Mobile Backhaul Networks" where it remains for 
further study.

Please see https://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/TR-221.pdf

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Stewart Bryant
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard