Subject: [Pals] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-pals-status-reduction-04: (with COMMENT)

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 15:07:01 -0700

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-pals-status-reduction-04: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-status-reduction/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

S 1.

   Periodic retransmission
   of non-zero status messages, and a simple acknowledge of PW status

"acknowledgement", perhaps?

S 2.
I found the state machine here a bit hard to follow. Some sort of
diagram might help.

S 4.
This is kind of an odd recommendation for how to generate the session
ID. Why not just Hash(timer) rather than hash of an ASCII formatted
date?

S 5.
       The C Bit is used to signal the end of PW configuration
       transmission. If it is set, the sending PE has finished sending
       all it’s current configuration information.

"its"

Is last received sequence number a cumulative ack or the temporarally
last received packet?

S 5.2
Is Length the remaining length or the length of the entire TLV?