Subject: [Pals] Protocol Action: 'Dual-Homing Coordination for MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) Pseudowires Protection' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-dual-homing-coordination-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:24:08 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Dual-Homing Coordination for MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP)
   Pseudowires Protection'
  (draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-dual-homing-coordination-06.txt) as Proposed
Standard

This document is the product of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-dual-homing-coordination/

Technical Summary

  In some scenarios, MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) Pseudowires (PWs)
   (RFC 5921) may be statically configured (management plane based),
   when a dynamic control plane is not available.  A fast protection
   mechanism for MPLS-TP PWs is needed to protect against the failure of
   an Attachment Circuit (AC), the failure of a Provider Edge (PE), or a
   failure in the Packet Switched Network (PSN).  The framework and
   typical scenarios of dual-homing PW local protection are described in
   [draft-ietf-pals-mpls-tp-dual-homing-protection].  This document
   proposes a dual-homing coordination mechanism for MPLS-TP PWs, which
   is used for state exchange and switchover coordination between the
   dual-homing PEs for dual-homing PW local protection.

Working Group Summary

This was a straight-forward design process with no controversy.

The AD did discuss with the Chairs and Authors on combining
this document and the companion Informational document,
though the preference was to maintain two documents.

Document Quality

Dual homed protection is important for mobile services, and the 
 need for this is called out in BBF TR-221 " Technical Specifications 
 for MPLS in Mobile Backhaul Networks" where it remains for 
 further study.

  Please see https://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/TR-221.pdf

  Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Stewart Bryant
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard