Subject: [Pals] I-D Action: draft-ietf-pals-vpls-pim-snooping-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 00:31:24 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services of the IETF.

        Title           : Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) over Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS)
        Authors         : Olivier Dornon
                          Jayant Kotalwar
                          Venu Hemige
                          Ray Qiu
                          Jeffrey Zhang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pals-vpls-pim-snooping-05.txt
	Pages           : 40
	Date            : 2017-04-03

Abstract:
   This document describes the procedures and recommendations for
   Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) Provider Edges (PEs) to facilitate
   replication of multicast traffic to only certain ports (behind which
   there are interested Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) routers
   and/or Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) hosts) via Protocol
   Independent Multicast (PIM) snooping and proxying.

   With PIM snooping, PEs passively listen to certain PIM control
   messages to build control and forwarding states while transparently
   flooding those messages.  With PIM proxying, Provider Edges (PEs) do
   not flood PIM Join/Prune messages but only generate their own and
   send out of certain ports, based on the control states built from
   downstream Join/Prune messages.  PIM proxying is required when PIM
   Join suppression is enabled on the Customer Equipment (CE) devices
   and useful to reduce PIM control traffic in a VPLS domain.

   The document also describes PIM relay, which can be viewed as light-
   weight proxying, where all downstream Join/Prune messages are simply
   forwarded out of certain ports but not flooded to avoid triggering
   PIM Join suppression on CE devices.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-vpls-pim-snooping/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pals-vpls-pim-snooping-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-pals-vpls-pim-snooping-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-pals-vpls-pim-snooping-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/