Subject: Re: PAA-EP protocol requirements

From: "Alper E. YEGIN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:50:24 -0800

> Hello,
> Can someone remind we why would we want PAA and EP to be two separate
entities? I probably missed this discussion so if someone can find old post
that would be great....

The decision was made based on the resolution of multiple
router case discussion (see attachment).

alper

Subject: Support for multiple default routers
From: "Hesham Soliman (EAB)" <[email-masked]>
To: "Pana (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:49:41 +0200

Hi, 

I'd like to bring up this issue for discussion/comments. 

While simplifying the PANA charter it was suggested that
we assume that the PAA is always in the first hop router. 
There seemed to be another assumption that the PAA and the 
EP are also colocated to eliminate the need (initially) to
define a protocol (not necessarily a new one) to run
between the PAA and the EP. 

However, we also have a requirement on PANA to support
multi-access links. It is likely that these links would 
have more than one default router, mainly for load sharing
or redundancy. If these links require authentication for 
network access (i.e. PANA) while running multiple default 
routers (EPs), we need to consider one or more of the following 
options:

1. Each default router is a colocated PAA and EP. A PaC 
   would need to find all PAAs and register with each one
   of them to be granted network access through either one.
	Pros: 
		- We do not specify a protocol between the EP
		  and the PAA.

	Cons: 
		- Multiple unnecessary registrations (and reauthentication/
		  Heartbeats later) for the same link.
		- Additional state in the hosts

2. One of the default routers is a PAA and the rest are EPs.
   Hosts would discover and register with one PAA only.   
   A protocol is defined to run between the PAA and the EPs. 
   	Pros: 
		- A single registration for the link.
		- Less complexity in hosts.

	Cons: 
		- Additional work to specify a protocol between
		  the PAA and the EP. The security requirements
		  would need to be investigated for this protocol. 
              possible options: 
			- SNMP.
			- Future stuff: Midcom, Context transfer, others ?

Have I missed other pros or cons? 
Which option do you think we should go for? 

Hesham