Subject: [Pana] access control information in the EP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:27:31 +0200

Hi all,

* Below is the DI definition quoted from [I-D.ietf-pana-requirements]:

    Device Identifier (DI)

         The identifier used by the network as a handle to control and
         police the network access of a client. Depending on the access
         technology, this identifier might contain any of IP address,
         link-layer address, switch port number, etc. of a connected
         device.

* Recent [I-D.ietf-pana-pana] states the following for the DI AVP:

    The first octet (8 bits) of the Device-Id (Code 1025) AVP data
    contains the device type. Rest of the AVP data payload contains the
    device data.  The content and format of data (including byte and bit
    ordering) is expected to be specified in specific documents.  For
    instance, [RFC2464].

             UNKNOWN                           0
             IPV4_ADDRESS                      1
             IPV6_ADDRESS                      2
             L2_ADDRESS                        3

    For type 1 (IPv4 address), data size is 32 bits and for type 2 (IPv6
    address), data size is 128 bits.

        0                   1                   2                   3
        0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
       |     Type      |           Data...                             |
       +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

let's try to figure out what are the infos needed to be transported by 
the PAA-to-EP protocol (say SNMP...) with the following couple of questions:

1) In order to police the network access of a client at the EP, are 
source addresses sufficient ? should the EP be capable to identify a 
specific flow with, e.g. the IP 5-tuple (srcAddr, destAddr, srcPort, 
destPort, L4Prot) ?

2) When Type=L2_ADDRESS, what are the various possible underlying link 
layer for the access network ?
FYI, http://www.iana.org/assignments/ianaiftype-mib gives a pretty 
exhaustive ;-) list of underlying interface types via the IANAifType 
definition.

Thanks,
Yacine El Mghazli

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana