Subject: [Pana] questions

From: "Joaquim Moreira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 19:40:48 -0000

Hi,

1 - What are the goals of PANA implementation ?
2 - What are the goals of PANA security  for the users ? 

J.Moreira

---

From: nagi reddy jonnala <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 11:25:03 +0100

Joaquim Moreira wrote:

> Hi, 1 - What are the goals of PANA implementation ?2 - What are the
> goals of PANA security  for the users ? J.Moreira

Goals of PANA implementation:

Perhaps this a preliminary question that was analysed by
the chairs in the initial stages of this WG. Every new comer
possibly would have  understood a bit from the WG  charter
page. ( Me too a late starter :) )

Let me try to answer your first question.

If you look at the TCP/IP or OSI architecture, we don't find any
specification
saying this layer should perform the security.  Right?

Later on depending on the need, some networks adopted it at as part of
PPP,
some did it as part of Mobile IPv4 and some did it as part of HTTP.  To
conclude
there is no single layer that is identified to perform authentication.

For example, in DSL networks, PPPoE protocol is used to authenticate the
user.
on an ethernet network . Both protocols being the Layer-2 protocols,
most of the people wonder why the PPP protocol runs on Ethernet.

This PANA group wants to define a protocol on its own (which doesn't
depend on any specifc link layer) that allows clients to authenticate
themselves to the access network using IP protocols.

Another goal also is to avoid deciding which authentication method
to use. The authentication method (for eg: MD5, Token Pass or whatever)
will be decided by the back end AAA server.  PANA Authentication Agent
will just act as a pass-through and enables to have the multiple
authentication
methods.

Please look at the PANA charter page for formal description.

what are the goals of PANA security to users:
=================================

1) PANA as such doesn't directly provide any new security mechanisms
bit it ENABLES the user/network provider to choose from one of
the multiple authentication method because PANA uses EAP.

2) PANA will enable the network provider ( no significant advantage to
end-user)
to do the authentication at one unique place. Without PANA, either
depend on the
link layer provided authnticationmechanism or in HTTP Web- redirect and
so on.

-Nagi.

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: nagi reddy jonnala <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 11:25:03 +0100

-Nagi.