Subject: Re: Accounting from the EPs (was Re: [Pana] PAA-2-EP protocol requirements)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:32:12 -0800

Hi Yoshi and al,

   >    > c) Accounting/Feedback from the EPs:
   >    > The PAA must have an efficient way to to get the accounting
   >    information
   >    > of PaC from EP since the PAA may be a client of the AAA backend
   >    > infrastructure.
   >
   >    Getting statistics from the EP makes sense. For example, in the
   case of
   >    SNMP, if we get the counters from the EP this is good enough. The
   AAA
   >    client
   >    sitting on the PAA can turn these into accoutning records.
   >
   > I agree.  Should we eliminate the case where EP itself directly sends
   > accounting records to the accounting server?  I am asking because AAA
   clients for
   > authentication sessions and accounting sessions can be separated
   entities in Diameter, as long as
   > there is a way to
   > associate an accounting session with an authentication session.
   >

   I agree. this is an important issue: is polling sufficient for the AA
   purposes ?

I think polling from PAA is sufficient, except for the case where EP
notifies
the presense of PaC (which can be supported by using SNMP trap or
PANA-PAA-Discover message
sent from EP on behalf of PaC).  So far I have not come up with a counter
case where polling is
insufficient.

Yoshihiro Ohba

   FYI, SNMP provides event-based notifications. I'm not sure if an SNMP
   agents (EPs) can send records periodically to the manager (PAA)...

   Yacine

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:32:12 -0800

Hi Yoshi and al,

   case of
   AAA
   clients for

Yoshihiro Ohba

   Yacine

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 08:27:00 -0800

FYI..  There is some interesting case where polling from PAA to EP might be
inefficient.

Yoshihiro Ohba

----- Forwarded by Yoshihiro Ohba/CSE/IRV/TOSHIBA-TAIS on 2003/12/04 08:23
-----
                                                                                   
                      Yoshihiro Ohba                                               
                                               To:      [email-masked]       
                      2003/12/03 09:23         cc:      [email-masked],  
                                               [email-masked], John Loughney 
                                               <[email-masked]>,          
                                               Yoshihiro Ohba                      
                                               <[email-masked]>            
                                               Subject: Re: Accounting from the    
                                               EPs (was Re: [Pana] PAA-2-EP        
                                               protocol requirements)(Document     
                                               link: Yoshihiro Ohba)               

   [email-masked] wrote:
   >
   > In the former case, polling EP to obtain accounting records on a
   particular
   > PaC can be triggered when disconnected requests are received from the
   home
   > AAA.

   For the disconnect request, I was asking more about the existence
   of a message in PANA that would kill the session from an EP. I suppose
   such a message must exist already.

   > In the latter case, there would be a performance issue when there are
   a
   > large number of clients that need realtime accounting. However, I
   think the
   > performance issue equally holds in non-polling scheme in which EPs
   > periodically send accounting records to PAA.
   >
   > Or I may be misunderstanding the definition of polling.

   No, you got it right. RFC 2975 Section 2.3.5 summarizes btw
   the accounting data collection model pros and cons.

   But I was primarily thinking about how to implement something
   like the Granted-Service-Unit AVP from draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-cc
   if the EPs are only polled.

   --Jari

The authorization model based on Granted-Service-Unit AVP is interesting.
Especially when the maximum number of octets is used as an authorization
parameter, I agree that some notification from EP to PAA would be needed to
indicate that the PaC has spent the maximum number of input/output/total
octets and thus the EP has forcefully shutdown the data path for the PaC.
Using polling model for this type of authorization model might be
inefficient.

Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 08:27:00 -0800

Yoshihiro Ohba

                      Yoshihiro Ohba                                               
                                               To:      [email-masked]       

   particular
   home

   a
   think the

   --Jari

Yoshihiro Ohba