Subject: [Pana] unspecified address clean-up (new issue)

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:44:31 -0800

I think it's time to remove unspecified IP address support from PANA
specification.

Are we ready for the following changes?

In section 4.1.2, change:

 "PaC MAY use unspecified IP address for communicating with PAA."

to:

 "PaC MUST NOT use an unspecified IP address for communicating with
 PAA."

Change the first two paragraphs in section 4.2

from:

"4.2 Discovery and Initial Handshake Phase
                                                                                
   When a PaC attaches to a network, and knows that it has to discover
   PAA for PANA, it SHOULD send a PANA-PAA-Discover message to a well-
   known link local multicast address (TBD) and UDP port (TBD). The
   source address is set to the unspecified IP address if the PaC has
   not configured an address yet. PANA PAA discovery assumes that PaC
   and PAA are one hop away from each other. If PaC knows the IP address
   of the PAA (some pre-configuration), it MAY unicast the PANA
   discovery message to that address. PAA SHOULD answer to the
   PANA-PAA-Discover message with a PANA-Start-Request message.
                                                                                
   When the PAA receives such a request, or upon receiving some lower
   layer indications of a new PaC, PAA SHOULD unicast a
   PANA-Start-Request message. The destination address may be
   unspecified IP address, but the L2 destination would be a unicast
   address (something for the implementations to deal with)."

to:
                                                                                
"4.2 Discovery and Initial Handshake Phase
                                                                                
   When a PaC attaches to a network, and knows that it has to discover
   PAA for PANA, it SHOULD send a PANA-PAA-Discover message to a well-
   known link local multicast address (TBD) and UDP port (TBD). PANA
   PAA discovery assumes that PaC and PAA are one hop away from each
   other. If PaC knows the IP address of the PAA (some
   pre-configuration), it MAY unicast the PANA discovery message to
   that address. PAA SHOULD answer to the PANA-PAA-Discover message
   with a PANA-Start-Request message.
                                                                                
   When the PAA receives such a request, or upon receiving some lower
   layer indications of a new PaC, PAA SHOULD unicast a
   PANA-Start-Request message."

Delete the following paragraph entirely from section 4.7:
                                                                                
   "When IPsec-based access control is used but the PaC is using an
   unspecified IP address in the authentication phase, the device ID
   reported by the PaC MUST be either 0.0.0.0 or 0::0. This device ID
   MUST be recorded as a temporary one by the PAA until the PaC obtains
   a valid one and informs the PAA. Eventually PaC MUST obtain an IP
   address, possibly by relying on the newly-created PANA session
   [I-D.tschofenig-pana-bootstrap-rfc3118], in order to gain full access
   to the network. PaC MUST update the device identifier registered on
   the PAA from unspecified to the valid IP address by initiating a
   PANA-Reauth-Request/PANA-Reauth-Answer exchange in which the IP
   address of the PaC is contained in the Device-Id AVP."

Regards,

Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana