Subject: [Pana] SESS_RESUM in state machine

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:48:20 -0800

In the PAA state machine, there is a variable SESS_RESUM and 
there is a transition from OFFLINE to WAIT_REAUTH_ANS with an action 
"Tx: PANA-Reauth-Request".  

However, I was not able to found the text in the base specification to
allow this transition.  When the PAA is in OFFLINE state, it means the
session is deleted and there is no PANA SA.  So it is not possible for
the PAA in OFFLINE state to send a PANA-Reauth-Request with a MAC AVP.

I think this transition should be removed and thus SESS_RESUM is not
necessary.

The same thing applies to the PaC state machine.  There is a
transition from WAIT_PAA to OPEN with an action "Tx:
PANA-Reauth-Answer".  I think this should not be allowed for the same
reason.

To summarize: PANA-Reauth-Request/Answer exchange should occur only in
OPEN state for both PaC and PAA.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:17:44 -0800

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 01:38:24PM -0500, Victor Fajardo wrote:
> In addition, it seems SESS_RESUM is used to flag the inclusion/exclusion of
> the session-id AVP in the start answer message of the Pac state machine. 
> But at this point, the PAA is offline (stateless with regards to keeping
> knowledge about the Pac) and hence will not have established a session id.

While PAA is offline with stateless, if it receives PANA-Start-Answer
with Session-Id, it is still valid.  Because the PAA can trigger
context transfer to pull the PANA session context from other PAA and send ...

PANA-Reauth-Request....

Ah, now I see why the PAA state machine has the transition from OFFLINE to
WAIT_REAUTH_ANS.  

I found the corresponding description in section 4.9 and it should
work.  Please ignore my previous comment.

Sorry for my confusion.

Yoshihiro Ohba

> -- victor

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:17:44 -0800

PANA-Reauth-Request....

Sorry for my confusion.

Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: "Victor Fajardo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:38:24 -0500

In addition, it seems SESS_RESUM is used to flag the inclusion/exclusion of
the session-id AVP in the start answer message of the Pac state machine. But
at this point, the PAA is offline (stateless with regards to keeping
knowledge about the Pac) and hence will not have established a session id.

-- victor

---

From: "Victor Fajardo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:38:24 -0500

-- victor