Subject: [Pana] the question that I wanted to ask at the mike before the line was cut off...

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:20:38 +0200

I guess I still don't understand how roaming works in PANA.
Currently, Diameter, for instance, works through looking at
the NAI at the NAS, and placing this value in the Destination-Realm
AVP. All this happens in the NAS. But the NAS doesn't have
to have all routing information to the possible realms. Instead,
it would typically have a default router to the access provider's
proxy or mediating network's proxy which makes the final routing
selection.

This is simple enough so far, but what's the problem with PANA?
The issue is that I don't understand how you can use the ISP-Information
at the PANA layer to fill in the Destination-Realm. Or you can use
it in the case that the NAS has been configured to recognize the
given ISP. But in a typical case the NAS would not be configured with
the 1000 different home realms that you can be connected to. So,
does PANA limit selected ISP to the ones it has advertised? If yes,
then you would have to have all those 1000 ISPs configured in the
PANA-enabled NASes. If you try to force one of the few known ISPs
(bighome.com) but the user wanted to get to another one
(smallandunknownisp.com), things would break, I think. This is because
the Destination-Realm would be set to bighome.com whereas you really
should have set it to smallandunknownisp.com. In either case the message
should be directly sent to the bighome.com AAA server, but this can
only route the request further if the Destination-Realm AVP is
set correctly.

--Jari

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 15:05:10 +0200

NAP is connected to ISP(s). I guess NAP could provide WLAN APs, but the ISP the backbone connection. If APs are shared among different ISPs, then ISP selection comes into the picture. I guess the question is how many ISPs could be connected to one NAP? Or what is the definition of NAP and ISP.. and how far does the NAP-ISP border go. Is NAP the as ANP (Access Network Provider)? :)

So, my understanding currently is that I may use NAI like [email-masked] and when I'm attaching to a NAP it advertises me ISPs that are connected to it, for example htv.fi, teliasonera.fi, and saunalahti.fi. Then I select one, let's say htv.fi and send that selection in the PSA message to the PAA. PAA then sends the AAA request to the htv.fi AAA gw/server, but the destination realm is visa.com.

- Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of ext
> Jari Arkko
> Sent: 01 March, 2004 09:21
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Pana] the question that I wanted to ask at the mike 
> before the
> line was cut off...
> 
> 
>