Subject: [Pana] Issue 71: POPA mechanism discovery

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:43:57 -0700

Proposed changes to handle Issue 71.
Comments welcome.

[1] 4.1.1 Payload Encoding

Add:

  o  PPAC AVP: Post-PANA address configuration AVP. Conveys the list
     of IP address configuration methods available when sent by the PAA,
     and the chosen method when sent by the PaC.

[2] 4.3 Authentication Phase

Change:

   PANA-Bind-Request and PANA-Bind-Answer messages MUST be retransmitted
   based on the retransmission rule described in Appendix A.

To:

   Additionally, PANA-Bind-Request and PANA-Bind-Answer messages MUST
   include PPAC AVP, which helps PAA to inform PaC about whether a new
   IP address MUST be configured and the available methods to do so, and
   PaC to indicate the chosen method.

   PANA-Bind-Request and PANA-Bind-Answer messages MUST be retransmitted
   based on the retransmission rule described in Appendix A.

[3] Figure 8:

Change the following segment:

        <-----     PANA-Bind-Request(x+3,y+2)
                      [EAP{Success}, Device-Id, Lifetime,
Protection-Cap., 
                       MAC]
         ----->     PANA-Bind-Answer(y+3,x+3)
                      [Device-Id, Protection-Cap., MAC]

To:

        <-----     PANA-Bind-Request(x+3,y+2)
                      [EAP{Success}, Device-Id, Lifetime,
Protection-Cap., 
                       PPAC, MAC]
         ----->     PANA-Bind-Answer(y+3,x+3)
                      [Device-Id, Protection-Cap., PPAC, MAC]

[4] 9.3.7 PANA-Bind-Request (PBR)

Change:

   PANA-Bind-Request (PBR) is sent by the PAA to the PaC.

         PANA-Bind-Request ::= < PANA-Header: 4, REQ >
                       < Session-Id >
                       < Device-Id >
                       { EAP-Payload }
                       { Result-Code }
                       [ Session-Lifetime ]
                       [ Protection-Capability ]
                       [ Key-Id ]
                    *  [ EP-Device-Id ]
                    *  [ AVP ]
                   0*1 < MAC >
To:

   PANA-Bind-Request (PBR) is sent by the PAA to the PaC.

         PANA-Bind-Request ::= < PANA-Header: 4, REQ >
                       < Session-Id >
                       < Device-Id >
                       { EAP-Payload }
                       { Result-Code }
                       { PPAC }
                       [ Session-Lifetime ]
                       [ Protection-Capability ]
                       [ Key-Id ]
                    *  [ EP-Device-Id ]
                    *  [ AVP ]
                   0*1 < MAC >

[5] 9.3.8 PANA-Bind-Answer (PBA)

Change:

   PANA-Bind-Answer (PBA) is sent by the PaC to the PAA in response to a
   PANA-Result-Request message.

         PANA-Bind-Answer ::= < PANA-Header: 4 >
                       < Session-Id >
                       < Device-Id >
                       [ Key-Id ]
                    *  [ AVP ]
                   0*1 < MAC >

To:

   PANA-Bind-Answer (PBA) is sent by the PaC to the PAA in response to a
   PANA-Result-Request message.

         PANA-Bind-Answer ::= < PANA-Header: 4 >
                       < Session-Id >
                       < Device-Id >
                       { PPAC }
                       [ Key-Id ]
                    *  [ AVP ]
                   0*1 < MAC >

[6] New section 9.4.17

9.4.17 Post-PANA Address Configuration (PPAC) AVP

   The data field of PPAC AVP (Code 1040) is of type Unsigned32. The
   AVP data is used to carry a set of flags which maps to various
   IP address configuration methods. When sent by the PAA, the AVP
   MUST have at least one of the flags set, and MAY have more than one
   set. When sent by the PaC, only one of the flags MUST be set.

   The format of the AVP data is as follows:

       0                   1                   2                   3
       0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      |N|D|A|T|I|                   Reserved                          |
      +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   PPAC flags:

      N (No configuration)
   
        The PaC does not have to (if sent by PAA) or will not (if sent
        by PaC) configure a new IP address after PANA. 

      D (DHCP)
        The PaC can (if sent by PAA) or will (if sent by PaC) use
        DHCP [RFC2131][RFC3315] to configure a new IP address after
PANA.

      A (stateless autoconfiguration)
        The PaC can/will use stateless IPv6 address autoconfiguration
        [RFC2462] to configure a new IP address after PANA.

      T (DHCP with IPsec tunnel mode)
        The PaC can/will use [RFC3456] to configure a new IP address
        after PANA.

      I (IKEv2)
        The PaC can/will use [IKE2] to configure a new IP address after
        PANA.

      Reserved

        These flag bits are reserved for future use, and MUST be set to
        zero, and ignored by the receiver.

   Unless the N-flag is set, the PaC MUST configure a new IP address
using 
   one of the methods indicated by the other flags. Refer to [PANAFWK]
for a
   detailed discussion on when these methods can be used.

[7] Figure 10

Add a new row on Figure 10:

                          +-----------------------------------------+
                          |        Message                          |
                          |          Type                           |
                          +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
      Attribute Name      | PSR | PSA | PAR | PAN | PBR | PBA | PDI |
      --------------------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
      PPAC                |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |  1  |  1  |  0  |
      --------------------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+

                          +-------------------------------+
                          |      Message                  |
                          |       Type                    |
                          +------+------+-----+-----+-----+
      Attribute Name      | PRAR | PRAA | PTR | PTA | PER |
      --------------------+------+------+-----+-----+-----+
      PPAC                |  0   |  0   |  0  |  0  |  0  |
      --------------------+------+------+-----+-----+-----+

[8] Additional references:

[RFC2131]
[RFC2462]
[RFC3456]
[IKE2]
[PANAFWK]

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana