Subject: [Pana] issue59: TTL and other IP layer details

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:59:18 -0700

Here is an attempt to fix this issue.

Change:

4.1.7 Message Validity Check

   When a PANA message is received, the message is considered to be
   invalid at least when one of the following conditions are not met:

   o  Each field in the message header contains a valid value including
      sequence number, message length, message type, version number,
      flags, etc.

To:

4.1.7 Message Validity Check

   When a PANA message is received, the message is considered to be
   invalid at least when one of the following conditions are not met:

   o  The IP Hop Limit (or TTL) field has a value of 255, i.e., the
packet
      could not possibly have been forwarded by a router.

   o  Each field in the message header contains a valid value including
      sequence number, message length, message type, version number,
      flags, etc.

Insert a new section 9.1:

9.1 IP and UDP Headers

The Hop Limit (or TTL) field of the IP header MUST be set to 255. IP
destination address of a PANA-PAA-Discover message is set to a
well-known link-local multicast address (TBD). Any other PANA packet is
unicasted between the PaC and the PAA. The source and destination
addresses SHOULD be set to the addresses on the interfaces from which
the message will be sent and received, respectively.

When the PANA packet is sent in response to a request, the UDP
destination port MUST be copied from the source port of the
corresponding packet. An unsolicited PANA packet MUST set its
destination port to a well-known value (TBD). In either case, the source
port can be set to a value chosen by the sender.

Also:

4.1.2 Transport Layer Protocol

   PANA uses UDP as its transport layer protocol.  The UDP port number
   is TBD.  All messages except for PANA-PAA-Discover are always
   unicast.  PaC MUST NOT use unspecified IP address for communicating
   with PAA.

Let's remove the last statement, we don't have to state that unspecified
addressed cannot be used (it's obvious).

Alper

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana