Subject: [Pana] issue97 (comment)

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:17:16 -0700

>From Pasi Eronen:
> Section 7: The retransmission behavior seems quite complicated;
> IMHO it would have been simpler to have one end (probably PaC)
> to be responsible for all timer-based retransmissions.

I think it is difficult to change the retransmission behavior as
suggested for the following reasons:

- PANA is designed that EAP-based (re-)authentication are initiated
from either side, which means that a message used for initiating
EAP-based (re-)authentication from PAA (i.e., PANA-Start-Request for
initial EAP-based authentication and PANA-Auth-Request for EAP-based
re-authentication) would need to be retransmitted from PAA anyway.

- There are some other PANA messages that are allowed from either side 
(i.e., PANA-Terminate-Request and PANA-Reauth-Request).

- Since rfc2284bis prohibits an EAP-Response to be retransmitted based
on a timer, a PANA message that carries an EAP-Response is not allowed
to be retrasmitted from PaC based on a timer.

Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana