Subject: [Pana] PANA threats Issue 88

From: "Mohan Parthasarathy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:34:37 -0700

Resolution for Issue 88.

I think the following is simple enough and should address the concern.

Modify the section 6.1 last paragraph FROM:

   The advertisement may be used to include other information like  
   supported authentication methods etc., besides the discovery of the  
   PAA itself. This can lead to a bidding down attack, as a malicious  
   node can send a spoofed advertisement with capabilities that indicate    
   less secure authentication methods than what the real PAA supports,  
   thereby fooling the PaC into negotiating a less secure authentication  
   method than what would otherwise be available. This is best avoided  
   by limiting the amount of security-critical information sent during  
   the PAA discovery process.  
     
   Requirement 1  
     
   PANA MUST not assume that the discovery process is protected. Since,  
   it is difficult to protect the discovery process, the security-  
   critical information exchanged during the discovery process SHOULD be  
   limited.

TO
    The advertisement may be used to include other information like  
   supported authentication methods etc., besides the discovery of the  
   PAA itself. This can lead to a bidding down attack, as a malicious  
   node can send a spoofed advertisement with capabilities that indicate    
   less secure authentication methods than what the real PAA supports,  
   thereby fooling the PaC into negotiating a less secure authentication  
   method than what would otherwise be available. 
     
   Requirement 1  
     
   PANA MUST not assume that the discovery process is protected.  

Also update the summary at the end.

Comments ?

-mohan

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 12:53:49 -0700

This looks good to me.

Alper

>    PANA MUST not assume that the discovery process is protected.
Since,