Subject: [paws] FW: PAWS BOF @IETF80 IMPORTANT .. Very Important.

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:52:29 -0400

FYI this is the note I sent to the full IETF discussion list. 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Richard Shockey
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:03 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: PAWS BOF @IETF80 IMPORTANT .. Very Important.

I want to offer my personal support for this BOF and encourage all members
of the IETF community to read the appropriate documents listed BEFORE
attending the BOF.  The BOF has only 1 hour of time on Monday. 

IMHO this is perhaps the most important BOF that will occur in Prague and
its implications in expanding the availability of IP access is breathtaking
and global in scope. It's a "good thing" tm.

What is being discussed is an key protocol that could expand the use of both
unlicensed and licensed spectrum far beyond anything we have previously
known.  We are all the beneficiaries of the extraordinary work that was done
in the past to create national regulatory rules, such as the US FCC Part 15
Rules, that opened up the 2.4 MHz band to unlicensed devices. That effort
created the preconditions for WIFI. 

The United States Federal Communications Commission, to its eternal credit,
has developed a formal policy and rules that would allow unlicensed devices
to use portions of the 700 MHz bands for various purposes. The 700 band is
now used in some jurisdictions for broadcast digital television. Its
propagation characteristics are outstanding.

In order for this spectrum to be utilized the FCC has required that devices
that wish to use the "White Spaces" in the digital television bands access a
database first in order to download a profile of what permissible channels
can be used.  The PAWS BOF seeks to define the protocols for accessing these
databases. This concept is under active consideration in many other national
jurisdictions including Finland, United Kingdom and several countries in
Asia.

Many remote and rural areas on the planet are ill served for IP
communications.  This technology could expand IP access into areas that are
economically impossible to reach via traditional landline or wireless
communications technology. 

In addition the US FCC has speculated that if this White Space Database
concept is successful it could be expanded into virtually the entire
available RF Spectrum.

The IETF is uniquely qualified to undertake this work. We have a long and
successful record in developing protocols for Registry/Registrar/Registrant
applications.

Obviously there will be a need for close coordination with several IEEE 802
committees.

I hope the BOF room is big enough.

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: PAWS BOF @IETF80

Folks,

There will be a BOF on protocols to access white space databases at IETF80,
on Monday March 28th at 15:10.

If you are interested and plan to come, please read the following docs
before the BOF:

Problem statement:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-patil-paws-problem-stmt-01.txt

Use case scenarios:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-probasco-paws-overview-usecases-00.txt

The agenda of the BOF:

1. Overview and background of White space technology (15 Mins)
2. Database architecture (10 Mins) 
3. Proposed charter and the work to be done in IETF (10 Mins) 
4. Open discussion (20) 
5. Conclusion (Show of hands/Hum)

-Gabor