Subject: [paws] Database Discovery: static provisioning

From: Vincent Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:10:26 -0700

All,

At the F2F, it was decided to update the language in the
draft-ietf-paws-protocol to explicitly allow static provisioning, while
leaving room to adopt dynamic provisioning, when it's defined.

Here is the proposed language. Comments are welcomed. Thanks

-vince

------------------------------

4.1.  Database Discovery

   The Device MUST determine the URI for the Database before it can send
   PAWS messages.  The Device MAY be provisioned statically with the URI
   of one or more Databases.  The Device SHOULD be provisioned with the
   URI of all the databases for which it is certified or otherwise
   permitted to operate.

   The Database MAY redirect a PAWS request by returning a HTTP 3xx
   response, as defined by HTTP/1.1 [RFC2616].  The Database MUST
   provide the redirect URI in the Location header of the 3xx response,
   and the Device MUST handle redirects by using the Location header
   provided by the Database.  When redirecting, the Device MUST observe
   the delay indicated by the Retry-After header.  The Device MUST
   authenticate the Database that returns the redirect response before
   following the redirect.  Additionally, the Device MUST authenticate
   the Database indicated in the redirect.  Because the Device may
   communicate with the Database without user interaction and because
   the Device authenticates the Database, when the response code is 301
   (Moved Permanently), the Device MAY redirect without asking a user
   for confirmation, which is an exception to the HTTP/1.1 [RFC2616]
   requirements for HTTP POST methods.

   The Device MAY obtain the URI of one or more Databases dynamically
   from authorized and authenticated entities.  The Device SHOULD use
   dynamic provisioning of Database URI when the mechanism is defined.