Subject: RE: [Pce] Adoption of draft-leroux-pce-discovery-reqs-01.txt as W G document ?

From: "Gray, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:27:22 -0400

JP,
 
    I believe this draft needs more work - particularly in the area of
establishing
"security requirements" (as opposed to simple inclusion of a security
section)
- before it is ready to be adopted as a WG document.
 
    Implicit in the PCE concept is the inherently undefined nature of the
trust
model that may apply in any given deployment. Consequently it MUST be a
requirement that any PCE discovery mechanism explicitly supports a specific
set of trust models and that the complete set of possible solutions
(assuming
the _possibility_ that one solution may not satisfy all requirements)
supports
every reasonable combination of security trust models.
 
    It is imperative that this is established as a "requirement" of PCE
discovery
solutions because this requirement will have a very definite effect on
choices
the WG might make right away in seeking a solution.
 
    For example, assuming that we need to support a model where we assume
that it is possible for a foreign agency to mimic a valid PCE, this
assumption 
will severely limit the approaches that might be used - as long as it is
also a
requirement to avoid approaches that require extensive manual configuration.
 
    To further illustrate this example, this requirement would make a choice
of
discovery based on broadcast/multicast announcement mechanisms much
less workable - possibly directing us more toward an authenticated directory
service approach.
 
    To accept this document as a WG document without first nailing down the
specific security requirements that we want to apply would potentially send 
the wrong message to the authors, the WG, the Internet community and - 
possibly - the IESG.
 
    It is far more important to ensure that the work has started in the
right
direction than it is to drive the work to conform more closely to a time
table.
 
--
Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of JP Vasseur
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 9:53 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Pce] Adoption of draft-leroux-pce-discovery-reqs-01.txt as WG
document ?

Dear WG,

draft-leroux-discovery-reqs has just been re-published, addressing several
of comments received during the last meeting and on the list (very few
remaining open items).

Could you provide us your feed-back on adopting
draft-leroux-discovery-reqs-01.txt as a WG document ?

JP and Adrian.

_______________________________________________
Pce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce