Subject: RE: [Pce] PCE Disco Reqs v01

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:13:50 +0100

Deborah et al,

> Is your concern more on how to manage the control plane's 
> resources and map the different TE information?

I was merely supporting the assertion of my colleague that 'topology on
the fly' will not work in reality for a variety of technical,
operational, commercial and economic reasons.  My comments were not
specific to any particular piece of PCE or GMPLS related work (and are
probably therefore out-of-scope of this discussion/mailing list in
general).

My personal view is that the peer/integrated model will not work and is
not practical or deployable (except possibly on a very small scale).
Topology must be driven using a bottom-up process where trails in a
server layer must exist before link connections in a client layer can be
provisioned.  IMO the technical reasons against the peer/integrated
model are just the tip of the iceberg, the operational, commercial and
economic reasons are what really (and in my view unquestionably) will
cause it to sink.

I won't say any more on this topic as this probably isn't the right
place for such a discussion.

Ben

-- 
Ben Niven-Jenkins
Networking Specialist, BT Exact

_______________________________________________
Pce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 13:33:54 -0400

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 06:13:50PM +0100, [email-masked]
allegedly wrote:
> I was merely supporting the assertion of my colleague that 'topology
> on the fly' will not work in reality for a variety of technical,
> specific to any particular piece of PCE or GMPLS related work (and
> are probably therefore out-of-scope of this discussion/mailing list
> in general).

Ben, as I said to your colleague a few weeks ago, even though you
cannot dig trenches you can present available resources in different
ways.  Some client layers have a much easier time of allocating
resources if the resources are presented to them already distinct, as
opposed to having to manage the multiplexing themselves.  So even
though you cannot create lower layer diversity in an upper layer, you
can create diversity for the layer(s) above you, and that does have
merit.

Scott