Subject: RE: [Pce] PCE Disco Reqs v01

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:41:15 +0100

Igor et al,

> IB>> Let me ask you something. Suppose we have VC12 layer and 
> VC4 layer. 
> IB>> Is
> it unrealistic to expect that the same instance of the 
> control plane manages both of them?

In theory, yes the same control plane instance could be expected to
manage both of them.  In practice I don't believe this is possible in an
awful lot of (if not all) cases due to operational (e.g. different
layers are internally 'owned' by different folks), commercial (e.g.
network builder type services need to supported with clear functional
decoupling between the layer as each layer may be used by different
commercial entities) and (possibly) regulatory reasons (e.g. what an
operator uses themselves they must also offer to other operators on fair
and reasonable grounds - which goes back to the operational and
commercial reasons).  There are plenty of other reasons too but I don't
have the time/inclination to cover those. 

There is a large and distinct difference between what is academically
interesting and what is operationally possible in a commercial
environment.  At the end of the day it is operators that will end up
fotting the bill for this not academics/vendors (even if the operators
don't deploy it)!

I would like to know if any operator actually intends to deploy a
peer/integrated model with a single control plane instance controlling
>1 layer network.
 
Ben

_______________________________________________
Pce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 12:40:23 -0400

Hi,

If possible, please change the "Subject" since the discussion is no  
longer related to the PCE Discovery ID.

JP.

---

From: "Igor Bryskin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 13:42:35 -0400

Ben,

Are you saying that realistically it could not be the case when the same
operator owns both VC12 and VC4 layers ?

Thanks,
Igor

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 11:41 AM
Subject: RE: [Pce] PCE Disco Reqs v01

Igor et al,

Ben