Subject: [Pce] Changes to the PCE Architecture I-D

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:11:55 +0100

Hi all,

Thanks for the review comments from all and sundry on this I-D.

The new revision attempts to address your concerns and questions. The main
changes are:

Add clarification that PCE is not a substitute for the routing paradigm
that already exists, but is complementary to it. Also make clear that we
are not intending to apply PCE to "The Internet" (compare with the
charter). Try to moderate the opinion that has been formed that PCE is an
"oracle in the sky" by re-stating that PCEs may be distributed on each and
every LSR in the network.

Strengthen the text discussing the applicability of and interaction with
crankback. In particular, point out that PCE and crankback are not
incompatible, but that both might be used in conjunction to build a
sensible inter-domain routing system.

Add some discussion of guaranteed LSP establishment (i.e. non-contention
for resources) to explain that this can only work where all path
computations for the whole network are coordinated and where network
resources cannot fail.

Add a further example usage to the architectural models: the management
model. In this case the PCC is not an LSR, but is a management station
(such as an NMS).

Add a new section to describe the "view from PCC". This section is
intended to resolve the discussions of terminology. We have not changed
the terminology which we feel presents the overall view of the
architecture, but we recognise the value of describing the functional
model especially from the perspective of the PCC. Therefore this new
section includes that description and relates it to the architectural
terms previously defined.

We have strengthened the discussion of Policy, but we have not attempted
to complete this topic as we expect the details to be fleshed out in a new
I-D that Lou has promised to produce.

Note that we have not made any additions to the security session despite
comments about this section on the mailing list and in Paris. On
re-reading the section we could not find anything further to say. If you
have any issues on this section then please suggest text.

Thanks,
Adrian

_______________________________________________
Pce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce