Subject: RE: [Pce] WG Last Call ended on draft-ietf-pce-architecture-02.txt

From: "Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:07:41 -0500

Eric,
Lou,

> PCE stands for "Path Computation Engine"

'PCE' stands for 'Path Computation Element'.

> PCS when talking the computing/server component.

'PCS' was the old name for 'PCE', however 'PCS' connotes too much a
separate 'server' implementation of 'PCE' (which doesn't have to be a
separate network element, but can be 'composite'), so 'PCS' terminology
was replaced by 'PCE'.

Thanks,
Jerry

_______________________________________________
Pce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 16:13:50 -0400

Gerry,  Eric,
         So what term do you use when referring to the identification 
of paths using PCCs and PCEs?  The architecture document seems to 
also call this PCE.

Having PCE refer to the whole process and also to a component in the 
process seems to be very confusing, and it'll only get worse as time 
goes on and the amount of material and discussions increase. IMO it 
would be better to endure the small pain now to fix the limited set 
of documents we have now rather than having to endure all the pain 
and confusion for years to come.

Lou