Subject: [Pce] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-oki-pce-inter-layer-app-00.txt]

From: dimitri papadimitriou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:01:05 +0100

folks,

i'm not necessarily sure to understand the scenario 5.2 wrt to section 4.2

are you saying that in order to manage inter-layer relationship there is 
a need to have a separate functional entity (in addition to the PCE) ?

i'm a bit confused here because the requirement document
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-req-00.txt>
does not consider such model -

more generically i still believe this effort should concentrate on path 
computation (role of the PCE functionality)

thanks,
- dimitri.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-oki-pce-inter-layer-app-00.txt
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:50:02 -0500
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: PCE Applicability for Inter-Layer MPLS and GMPLS Traffic 
Engineering

	Author(s)	: E. Oki, et al.
	Filename	: draft-oki-pce-inter-layer-app-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2006-2-9
	
A network may comprise of multiple layers. It is important to
globally optimize network resources utilization, taking into
account all layers, rather than optimizing resource utilization at
each layer independently. This allows better network efficiency to
be achieved through a process that we call inter-layer traffic
engineering. The Path Computation Element (PCE) can be a powerful
tool to achieve inter-layer traffic engineering.

This document describes the applicability of the PCE-based path
computation architecture to inter-layer MPLS and GMPLS traffic
engineering. It provides suggestions for the deployment of PCE in
support of multi-layer networks. This document also describes
network models where PCE performs inter-layer traffic engineering,
and the relationship between PCE and a functional component called
the Virtual Network Topology Manager (VNTM).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-oki-pce-inter-layer-app-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-oki-pce-inter-layer-app-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-oki-pce-inter-layer-app-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
Pce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:24:23 -0000

Hi Dimitri,

> a need to have a separate functional entity (in addition to the PCE) ?

"Need" may be a strong term for what we have in mind.

I think the text in 5.1 is clear. And most important is the sentence that
says...
     To describe each
     function clearly, VNTM is considered as a functional element in
     this draft.

The implication is that this entity might not exist, and the function may
be distributed. However, since the function *does* exist, it is convenient
and clearer to describe it as a separate unit.

> i'm a bit confused here because the requirement document
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-req-00.txt
> does not consider such model -

The requirement document is titled "PCC-PCE Communication Requirements for
Inter-Layer Traffic Engineering" and so should not be expected to cover
this model unless it has an impact on the PCC-PCE communications.

> computation (role of the PCE functionality)

Absolutely. However, it is surely important to show how PCE may be used to
compute paths in a multi-layer environment.

Cheers,
Adrian

---

From: dimitri papadimitriou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:10:40 +0100

adrian,

Adrian Farrel wrote:
> Hi Dimitri,
> 
> 
>>i'm not necessarily sure to understand the scenario 5.2 wrt to section
> 
> 4.2
> 

in such a case i call for asking the specifics being first worked out in 
CCAMP concerning the aspects not related to path computation

it looks like this document put the car before the horses in some sense

thanks,
- dimitri,

> .