Subject: AW: [Pce] New draft on wavelength switched optical networks

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 14:15:03 +0200

Hi Greg,

this is a timely topic to be tackled for both the PCE and GMPLS WGs, and
well worth supporting. I would like to highlight that the renewed
interest in this work by carriers is sparked by the fact that there is
new optical equipment moving into the network, both in the core as well
as in the metro/aggregation area which needs management and
configuration. There is no intention to implement fast optical switching
at large scale, except during failure recovery and for planned
maintenance etc which would affect the IGP stability. Dimitri's remark
during the GMPLS WG meeting showed me that it might be necessary to
emphasize that position.

Regards,

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Bernstein [mailto:[email-masked]] 

Hi CCAMPer's and PCEr's, we have just published a new draft on the 
"Applicability of GMPLS and PCE to Wavelength Switched Optical 
Networks"  
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bernstein-ccamp-wavelength-swi
tched-00.txt 
.

This draft looks at optical networks that include tunable lasers and 
ROADM (reconfigurable optical add/drop multiplexers) with no or limited 
wavelength conversion capability (these components are defined in the 
draft). 
These limitations lead to the RWA (routing and wavelength assignment) 
problem which is a bit more demanding in terms of input information and 
computation than other constrained path computation problems.  In the 
draft we look at the implications for GMPLS signaling, GMPLS routing, 
and PCE protocols and suggest some potential extensions to better 
accommodate this application.

We'd appreciate feedback/collaboration on (a) overall interest in this 
application, (b) requirements discussions, and (c) solution/extension 
discussions.

Cheers

Greg B.

-- 
===================================================
Dr Greg Bernstein, Grotto Networking (510) 573-2237

_______________________________________________
Pce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce

_______________________________________________
Pce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce