Subject: [Pce] Fw: Time for a liaison to the ITU

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 22:32:09 -0000

Hi working group,

In recent months there has been a resurgence of interest in the inter-layer 
characteristics of the ASON architecture defined in the ITU-T. This has 
included discussions in Study Group 15 Questions 12 and 14 about how to 
provide routing in a layered network.

As you may recall, Study Group 15 recently recognized PCE as an option for 
handling their multi-level routing requirements , and published G.7715.2 
describing how a separate path computation component could be used.

So we think that draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-frwk-05.txt and 
draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-req-05.txt may be of interest to them and propose 
to send the short liaison below.

Your comments are welcomed.

 Regards,
Adrian and JP

 ===

 To: ITU-T Q12/15 and Q14/15
Cc: Stephen Trowbridge, Kam Lam, Malcolm Betts, Ross Callon, Dave Ward, 
Scott Bradner
Subject: Application of PCE to Inter-Layer Networks
For: Information

 The Path Computation Element (PCE) working group of the IETF is aware that 
your Questions have recently been discussing the inter-layer aspects of the 
ASON architecture and particularly how to select routes across a multi-layer 
network, and how to represent within a higher layer network the potential or 
real connectivity across a lower layer network.

In the light of G.7715.2 we believe that you may be interested in some work 
being discussed in the PCE working group. "Framework for PCE-Based 
Inter-Layer MPLS and GMPLS Traffic Engineering" may be found at 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-frwk-05.txt. 
This document should be read in the context of the general PCE architecture 
described in "A Path Computation Element (PCE)-Based Architecture" 
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4655.txt

Although not specifically targeted at the ASON architecture, we would 
welcome any comments that you have on 
draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-frwk-05.txt, and invite interested parties to 
contribute either through the liaison process or via the PCE working group 
mailing list details of which can be found at the PCE working group charter 
page http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/pce-charter.html

We are also looking at the requirements driven by inter-layer routing for 
extensions to the PCE Protocol (PCEP) used for communication between Path 
Computation Clients (PCCs) and PCEs. These can be found in "PCC-PCE 
Communication and PCE Discovery Requirements for Inter-Layer Traffic 
Engineering " 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-req-05.txt

Best regards,
JP Vasseur and Adrian Farrel
IETF PCE working group co-chairs 

_______________________________________________
Pce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce