Subject: [Pce] RFC 5623 on Framework for PCE-Based Inter-Layer MPLS and GMPLS Traffic Engineering

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:09:08 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5623

        Title:      Framework for PCE-Based Inter-Layer MPLS 
                    and GMPLS Traffic Engineering 
        Author:     E. Oki, T. Takeda,
                    JL. Le Roux, A. Farrel
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       September 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      34
        Characters: 81033
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pce-inter-layer-frwk-10.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5623.txt

A network may comprise multiple layers.  It is important to globally
optimize network resource utilization, taking into account all
layers rather than optimizing resource utilization at each layer
independently.  This allows better network efficiency to be achieved
through a process that we call inter-layer traffic engineering.  The
Path Computation Element (PCE) can be a powerful tool to achieve
inter-layer traffic engineering.

This document describes a framework for applying the PCE-based
architecture to inter-layer Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and
Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) traffic engineering.  It provides
suggestions for the deployment of PCE in support of multi-layer
networks.  This document also describes network models where PCE
performs inter-layer traffic engineering, and the relationship
between PCE and a functional component called the Virtual Network
Topology Manager (VNTM).  This memo provides information for the 
Internet community.

This document is a product of the Path Computation Element Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute