Subject: [Pce] Protocol Action: 'A set of monitoring tools for Path Computation Element based Architecture' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:09:25 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'A set of monitoring tools for Path Computation Element based 
   Architecture '
   <draft-ietf-pce-monitoring-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Path Computation Element Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pce-monitoring-09.txt

Technical Summary

   A Path Computation Element (PCE) based architecture has been 
   specified in RFC 4655 for the computation of Traffic Engineering (TE)
   Label Switched Paths in MPLS and GMPLS networks. This architecture 
   can be used in the context of single or multiple domains (where a 
   domain refers to a collection of network elements within a common 
   sphere of address management or path computational responsibility 
   such as IGP areas and Autonomous Systems).

   Path Computation Clients send computation requests to PCEs using the
   Path Computation Protocol (PCEP). These PCEs may forward the requests 
   to, and cooperate with, other PCEs forming a "path computation 
   chain". In PCE-based environments, it is critical to monitor the 
   state of the path computation chain for troubleshooting and 
   performance monitoring purposes: liveness of each element (PCE) 
   involved in the PCE chain, detection of potential computational 
   resource contention states and statistics in terms of path 
   computation times are examples of such metrics of interest.

   This document specifies procedures and extensions to PCEP in order to
   gather such information.

Working Group Summary

   Nothing of note.
   Not a very loud consensus, but no dissent.

Document Quality

   There are no known implementations of this minor addition to the 
   protocol extension. There are long-term plans to implement, but 
   nothing in the immediate future.

   Althought the specification got ahead of the implementation, it is 
   felt that it would be useful to complete the publication process and 
   move on.

Personnel

   Julien Meuric ([email-masked]) is the Document 
   Shepherd.

   Adrian Farrel ([email-masked]) is the Responsible AD.