Subject: [Pce] RFC 5886 on A Set of Monitoring Tools for Path Computation Element (PCE)-Based Architecture

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 15:55:43 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5886

        Title:      A Set of Monitoring Tools 
                    for Path Computation Element (PCE)-Based Architecture 
        Author:     JP. Vasseur, Ed.,
                    JL. Le Roux, Y. Ikejiri
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       June 2010
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      26
        Characters: 56554
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pce-monitoring-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5886.txt

A Path Computation Element (PCE)-based architecture has been
specified for the computation of Traffic Engineering (TE) Label
Switched Paths (LSPs) in Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and
Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) networks in the context of single or
multiple domains (where a domain refers to a collection of network
elements within a common sphere of address management or path
computational responsibility such as Interior Gateway Protocol (IGP) areas
and Autonomous Systems).  Path Computation Clients (PCCs) send computation
requests to PCEs, and these may forward the requests to and cooperate with
other PCEs forming a "path computation chain".

In PCE-based environments, it is thus critical to monitor the state
of the path computation chain for troubleshooting and performance
monitoring purposes: liveness of each element (PCE) involved in the
PCE chain and detection of potential resource contention states and
statistics in terms of path computation times are examples of such
metrics of interest.  This document specifies procedures and
extensions to the Path Computation Element Protocol (PCEP) in order
to gather such information.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Path Computation Element Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC