Subject: [Pce] The Applicability of the PCE to Computing Protection and Recovery Paths

From: "Daniel King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 22:30:41 -0000

Hi All, 

At IETF 79 we briefly discussed how computing paths for service protection
and recovery is important for P2MP services. Indeed the latest version of
draft-zhao-pce-pcep-inter-domain-p2mp-procedures includes a section on to
explore how protection may be an issue for inter-domain P2MP paths. This is
due to a variety of reason and not limited to:

- End-to-end (synchronisation of dependent requests across multiple PCEs,
inter-domain)

- Local/FRR (requires next-hop info so dynamic inter-domain FRR is
problematic)

- Disjoint (encoding of link, node, SRLG and domain - BNs, etc.)

Actually, these issues are not just relevant to the
draft-zhao-pce-pcep-inter-domain-p2mp-procedures. There are a number of
other P2P and P2MP protection and recovery scenarios that might be explored.
So it would make sense to have a draft that specifically covers the
applicability of the PCE to compute protection/recovery paths. Obviously
some ABR/ASBR techniques already exist but a new PCE Recovery ID could
outline the existing mechanisms and identify gaps and requirements for new
applications and scenarios that require enhancements to existing solutions
or new mechanisms. 

If anyone is interested in progressing this new ID or has some feedback
please let me know. I do not plan to have an ID submitted for IETF80, but I
would certainly be able to discuss the topic informally (outside the WG
session) at IETF80.  

Br, Dan.